This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Two bowl barrows 290m and 375m north of Higher Ennis Farm

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Two bowl barrows 290m and 375m north of Higher Ennis Farm

List entry Number: 1017050

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: St. Erme

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 12-Dec-1958

Date of most recent amendment: 24-Sep-1999

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 32902

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar, although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving bowl barrows recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring across most of lowland Britain. Often occupying prominent locations, they are a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of protection.

The two bowl barrows 290m and 375m north of Higher Ennis Farm survive reasonably well, showing clearly their original bowl barrow forms, and they remain substantially intact despite some evidence for limited disturbance at each mound. Their ridge-top location close to a cemetery containing different barrow forms illustrates well the important role of topography and the diversity of practices within Bronze Age funerary activity.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes two prehistoric bowl barrows, situated on the summit of a ridge south west of Carland Cross. The scheduling is divided into two separate areas of protection. The northern barrow has a mound 9m in diameter and 0.7m high, with an irregular profile: the south and west sides have been cut into, and the top is uneven, possibly due to stone robbing. The mound of the southern barrow is 21.5m in diameter and 1m high, with an irregular rounded profile and a flattened but uneven top. A depression 2m-3m wide, to the north west of the mound, is considered to be the remains of an outer ditch. The south eastern edge of the mound has been clipped by the ditch of a modern field boundary which runs just east of the barrow. A hollow 6m wide east-west by 4m north-south and 0.8m deep has been cut into the north western side of the mound. On the south side of this are several large lumps of concrete. This hollow and concrete are remains of a modern look out tower which formerly stood on the barrow. These two barrows are located towards the west of a small barrow cemetery containing bowl, bell, and platform barrows.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Henderson, C, 'Parochial Antiquities' in Parochial Antiquities, , Vol. 3, (1916), 210-211
Prior, R, 'Journal of the Royal Institution of Cornwall' in Journal of the Royal Institution of Cornwall, , Vol. 13, (1898), 436
Other
Fletcher, M, Ordnance Survey Index Card, (1970)
Johnson, N, CAU SMR, (1975)
Saunders, A, AM 7, (1958)
Sheppard, P, AM12, (1980)

National Grid Reference: SW 84244 53697, SW 84249 53766

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1017050 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2017 at 07:43:27.

End of official listing