Moated site 440m south west of Lindridge Fields Farm
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1017053 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 11:56:04.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Hinckley and Bosworth (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SK 47181 04709
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
The double moated site 440m south west of Lindridge Fields Farm survives well and is good example of this class of monument. The moated island will retain buried structural and artefactual evidence relating to the buildings which originally existed here, whilst, despite some infilling, the moat ditches will retain both environmental and artefactual information associated with the occupation of the site and the economy of its inhabitants.
The monument is situated approximately 1km north west of Desford and includes
the earthwork and buried remains of a moated site.
It has external dimensions of approximately 105m north west-south east and
116m north east-south west and includes inner and outer moat ditches. The
outer moat, which is shown on early Ordnance Survey maps, measures up to 12m
wide. It has been mostly infilled, although the north western corner remains
water-filled, but the moat ditches are considered to survive as a buried
features and are thus included in the scheduling. A 19th century plan of the
site provides evidence for further channels to the west and north west of the
moated site, running north and then westwards from the north western corner of
the outer moat. Most of these channels have been modified by ploughing, whilst
the only visible section, to the north west of the moated site, has been
culverted, and they are not included in the scheduling. The inner moat arms
are water-filled and average 12m in width. In the mid-19th century the inner
moat was drained and six, early 14th century, pottery vessels were recovered.
There is no visible evidence for the original access onto the moated island
and it is thought that it was via a bridge. The island itself, which is square
in plan, is slightly raised above the surrounding ground surface and will
retain buried deposits associated with its occupation and use.
The timber steps, flagstones and the electricity pole are excluded from the
scheduling, although the ground beneath these features is included.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Hoskins, WG, The Heritage of Leicestershire, (1950), 16
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing