This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Medieval manorial earthworks and gardens 140m south of Manor House

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Medieval manorial earthworks and gardens 140m south of Manor House

List entry Number: 1017208

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Leicestershire

District: Harborough

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Tur Langton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 14-Dec-1999

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 30256

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Medieval rural settlements in England were marked by great regional diversity in form, size and type, and the protection of their archaeological remains needs to take these differences into account. To do this, England has been divided into three broad Provinces on the basis of each area's distinctive mixture of nucleated and dispersed settlements. These can be further divided into sub-Provinces and local regions, possessing characteristics which have gradually evolved during the last 1500 years or more. This monument lies in the East Midlands sub-Province of the Central Province, an area characterised in the Middle Ages by large numbers of nucleated settlements. The sites of many of these settlements are now occupied by modern villages, but others have been partially or wholly deserted and are marked by earthwork remains. Most of these settlements were first documented in the 11th century, in Domesday Book. The southern part of the sub-Province has greater variety of settlement, with dispersed farmsteads and hamlets intermixed with the villages. Whilst some of the dispersed settlements are post-medieval, others may represent much older farming landscapes. The Soar Valley and Nene Plateau local region comprises the low hill country of the Soar Valley and, to the south east, a low plateau dissected by the tributaries of the Nene and Welland. Nucleated villages and hamlets dominate the region, but gaps are found within the pattern in Rockingham Forest, in Rutland and in High Leicestershire where they are linked to the location of woodland in and before the 11th century.

The medieval manorial earthworks and gardens 140m south of Manor House are an important visible component of the medieval settlement of Tur Langton. This part of the settlement, associated with the manorial site, survives particularly well as a series of substantial earthworks and buried deposits. In conjunction with surviving historical documentation relating to the site the remains will offer an important insight into the economy, layout and mechanisms underlying the eventual contraction of the manorial site and the abandonment of much of its area.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes the remains of Walchelin medieval manorial earthworks and formal gardens situated 140m south of the Manor House.

The formal gardens relating to the medieval manor house take the form of earthworks and buried remains defining a complex series of water channels, moated platforms and enclosures. The earthworks are primarily located in relation to a sub-rectangular raised platform approximately 55m in length north to south, and 45m in width located at the easternmost edge of the complex. A series of faint parallel ridges bisecting the platform suggest the possible location of a building which would have been reached via a causeway adjoining its north eastern side. The platform is defined on its northern, western and southern sides by a `U'-shaped moat, now dry, consisting of ditches up to 16m in width and 2m in depth. A narrow channel or leat running at right-angles from the southern arm of the moat and connecting it to a stream approximately 50m to the south bisects an area of medieval ridge and furrow cultivation. The location of a further leat is defined by a channel up to 6m in width and 1m in depth which runs for 70m NNW from the stream. A large enclosure approximately 70m square immediately west of the second leat is delineated on its northern and eastern sides by ditches up to 7m in width and 0.8m in depth. The ditches forming the southern and western sides of the enclosure have been partly infilled, and a small moated platform approximately 13m square is situated across its north western corner. Immediately to the north east is a short ditch linking the enclosure with the southern arm of a third much larger moat, now largely infilled, which originally enclosed the earlier manor house. The eastern, western and northern sides of the moat have been disturbed by subsequent building and landscaping, and are not included in the scheduling.

At the time of the Domesday survey of Tur Langton in 1086 Walchelin is recorded as having held 13 carucates of land under the Archbishop of York. Successive bishops of York were recognised as the overlords of the manor, which was attached to their manor of Southwell. The manor of Tur Langton was granted by the Archbishop of York to Robert Maunsell some time before 1166, and remained in the hands of his descendants until 1352 when it was divided into two following the death of the last male heir. In 1590 the manor was sold by William Brocas of Theddingworth to Andrew Halford of Welham and was subsequently associated with the Halford family of Wistow and the Faunts of Foston, who intermarried. The present manor house, not included in the scheduling, is attributed to the latter families and is an early 17th century building with extensive 18th and 19th century alterations. Traces of an earlier building were discovered by an owner, Captain Whitby during landscaping in the 18th century, and finds included an Elizabethan coin. A small medieval chapel associated with the manorial site and believed to have been built by the Maunsells lies a little way to the north of the present manor house, and is the subject of a separate scheduling.

All fences are excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath them is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Hartley, R F, Tur Langton, (1989)
McKinley, R A, The Victoria History of the County of Leicestershire , (1954)
Nichols, J, The History and Antiquities of the County of Leicester, (1798)
Other
Farnham, G., Leicestershire Medieval Village Notes, 1935,

National Grid Reference: SP 70994 94416

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1017208 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2017 at 04:46:50.

End of official listing