This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Moated site and fishponds 225m north of Wiverton Hall

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Moated site and fishponds 225m north of Wiverton Hall

List entry Number: 1017405

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Rushcliffe

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Wiverton Hall

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 08-Dec-1997

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 30223

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The remains of this moated site 225m north of Wiverton Hall survive particularly well in the form of a series of substantial earthworks. The monument has been subject to little disturbance with the result that the preservation of buried deposits will be good. As a result of historical documentation relating to the site, the remains are quite well understood, and provide a good opportunity for understanding the development and utilization of a manorial moated site.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes the remains of a medieval moated site and associated fishponds, situated 225m north of Wiverton Hall. The remains include earthworks defining a sub-rectangular moat. The north western side of the moat is approximately 50m in length, 11m in width and a maximum of 2m in depth. The south western and north eastern sides of the moat are 30m and 45m in length respectively, 12m in width and 2m in depth. The south eastern side of the moat has been infilled but will survive as a buried feature. The island within the moat is up to 2m higher than the surrounding land. A linear depression adjoining the north eastern corner of the moat, up to 2m in depth and continuing on an ENE-WNW axis for 125m, is interpreted as a contemporary water control feature in the form of a fishpond. A counterscarp bank up to 2m in height adjoining the southern edge of the depression is comprised of spoil from the excavation of the pond.

Documentary sources record that William the Conqueror granted manors at Wiverton to William Peverel and Walter de Encourt. The manors changed ownership several times before finally passing to the Chaworth family following the marriage of Sir Thomas Chaworth to Isabel, daughter of Sir Thomas Aylesbury. In 1448 Sir Thomas had a new manor house built south east of the moated site and was granted licence to make a deer park. The proximity of the moated site to the new hall and the village of Wiverton suggests that the moated site was the location of the original manorial house. The village of Wiverton was mentioned in Domesday but was deserted by the 16th century.

All modern fences and trackways are excluded from the scheduling although the ground beneath them is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
The Victoria History of the County of Nottinghamshire: Volume I, (1906)
Chaworth-Musters, L, 'Transactions of the Thoroton Society' in Some Account of the Family Called in English Chaworth, (1903)
Other
Nottinghamshire County Council, Nottinghamshire SMR: PRN 01366b,
RCHME, NMR Long Report: SK 73 NW 21,
RCHME, NMR Long Report: SK 73 NW 6,

National Grid Reference: SK 71235 36596

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1017405 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2017 at 04:25:37.

End of official listing