Park pale at Marwell, north of Thistle Ridge Farm
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1017607 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 26-May-2019 at 04:07:55.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Winchester (District Authority)
- National Park:
- SOUTH DOWNS
- National Grid Reference:
- SU 51172 20586
Reasons for Designation
Deer parks were areas of land, usually enclosed, set aside and equipped for
the management and hunting of deer and other animals. They were generally
located in open countryside on marginal land or adjacent to a manor house,
castle or palace. They varied in size between 3ha and 1600ha and usually
comprised a combination of woodland and grassland which provided a mixture of
cover and grazing for deer. Parks could contain a number of features,
including hunting lodges (often moated), a park-keeper's house, rabbit
warrens, fishponds and enclosures for game, and were usually surrounded by a
park pale, a massive fenced or hedged bank often with an internal ditch.
Although a small number of parks may have been established in the Anglo-Saxon
period, it was the Norman aristocracy's taste for hunting that led to the
majority being constructed. The peak period for the laying-out of parks,
between AD 1200 and 1350, coincided with a time of considerable prosperity
amongst the nobility. From the 15th century onwards few parks were constructed
and by the end of the 17th century the deer park in its original form had
largely disappeared. The original number of deer parks nationally is unknown
but probably exceeded 3000. Many of these survive today, although often
altered to a greater or lesser degree. They were established in virtually
every county in England, but are most numerous in the West Midlands and Home
Counties. Deer parks were a long-lived and widespread monument type. Today
they serve to illustrate an important aspect of the activities of medieval
nobility and still exert a powerful influence on the pattern of the modern
landscape. Where a deer park survives well and is well-documented or
associated with other significant remains, its principal features are normally
identified as nationally important.
The Marwell park pale represents an early example of emparkment. Despite the variable nature of its earthwork remains this is believed to accurately reflect their original size. They survive well and will contain archaeological remains and environmental evidence relating to the landscape in which the park developed. Its importance is enhanced by documentary evidence linking the park to royalty of the 13th century and by its close proximity to Marwell Manor, a contemporary moated site, and Fisher's Pond.
The park pale at Marwell includes an earthwork boundary enclosing the medieval
deer park which surrounded Marwell Manor. It was constructed as a bank and
external ditch, the bank probably supporting a wooden fence and oak trees
planted along its length. Such measures strengthened the earthwork ensuring
deer were kept in and predators out. The bank and ditch vary in their
preservation, the bank standing to a maximum height of 1.5m and varying in
width between 3m and 8m. The ditch, which is only visible at ground level in
a few places, survives as a buried feature around the majority of the deer
This section of park pale survives as an upstanding bank 380m in length, up to
10m wide and stands to a maximum height of 1.5m. The external ditch has
become completely infilled over the years and is no longer visible.
Marwell Park was established by the Bishop of Winchester, Henry de Blois,
during the 12th century. An area of approximately 256 hectares around the
Bishop's residence was emparked for the management of deer, while a number of
fish ponds were also created at the same time. King John is recorded as
having hunted at Marwell in 1208-9, and King Henry I in 1246-47. In 1332-33
the park was extended to around 324 hectares at a cost of 37 pounds. The
earthworks remained intact until at least the middle of the 17th century.
Excluded from the scheduling are all fences and drainage ditches although
the ground beneath these is included.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Jackson, W H, Marwell Manor A Brief Sketch: Early History and Excavations, (1961)
Roberts, E, 'Proceedings of the Hampshire Field Club' in The Bishop of Winchester's deer parks in Hampshire, 1200-1400, , Vol. 44, (1988)
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing