This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Averham moat and enclosure

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Averham moat and enclosure

List entry Number: 1017687

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Newark and Sherwood

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Averham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 13-Apr-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 03-Sep-1992

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 13392

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The extent of the earthworks at Averham indicate a manorial complex of some importance. The moat is very well-preserved and, while the adjacent enclosure has suffered some disturbance due to ploughing and levelling, it survives sufficiently well to retain significant archaeological remains from both the medieval and post-medieval periods.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes the moated site of Averham manor and the adjacent enclosure which extends to the south-east. Earthworks visible in the ploughed field to the south-west, and concentrations of brick further to the south-east, indicate the existence of a second enclosure and probable building remains. However, the extent and survival of these additional features is not sufficiently understood for them to be included in the scheduling. The moat includes a rectangular island measuring 12m from north-west to south-east by 69m from north-east to south-west. Enclosing it is a steep- sided ditch, 3m deep and varying between 8m and 9m wide. The ditch levels out near the south corner, indicating a bridging point leading from the enclosure to the south-east. The visible remains of this enclosure consist of two parallel banks of which the south-western is the best preserved. It is roughly 2m wide by 100m long and projects south-eastwards from the south end of the moat. The second bank lies c.70m to the north but has been disturbed by the creation of the gardens behind the houses on Church Lane. Only its south-east end is now visible, projecting into the paddock adjacent to the two houses. The remains of domestic or ancillary buildings will survive in this enclosure and on the island. All boundary fencing and garden fixtures are excluded from the scheduling, but the ground beneath is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
The Victoria History of the County of Nottinghamshire: Volume I, (1906), 309

National Grid Reference: SK7655054347

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1017687 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2017 at 08:02:07.

End of official listing