Moated site and fishpond north east of Wood Farm

Overview

Heritage Category:
Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number:
1017838
Date first listed:
18-Mar-1998

Map

Ordnance survey map of Moated site and fishpond north east of Wood Farm
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1017838 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jul-2019 at 13:10:54.

Location

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cheshire East (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Woolstanwood
National Grid Reference:
SJ 66975 55923

Reasons for Designation

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The moat at Wood Farm survives well as an earthwork despite regular ploughing. The platform is well defined and the ditches on the west and east sides are waterlogged at the southern end. The platform will retain evidence of the timber and stone buildings which were on this site and the waterlogged ditches will afford good preservation of organic remains. In addition, the fishpond survives as a dry feature to the south east of the moat.

Details

The monument includes a moated site immediately north east of Wood Farm. The north, west and east sides of the moat ditch survive but the south side at its western end has been destroyed by the buildings of a piggery. At the south east corner is a fishpond. The site has been identified as the platform for the manor house owned by the Griffin family during the reign of Henry VIII and later sold to Sir Henry Delves in 1666. The eastern half of the southern side of the moat ditch has been partly infilled to create a roadway along the north side of the farm, but the ditch is still visible and the south east corner survives in the scrub woodland on the south side of the road. Immediately to the south east of the moat corner there is a fishpond which measures 25m by 20m with a narrow annexe on the south west side 25m long and 10m wide. The moat platform measures 97m from west to east and 90m from north to south. It is surrounded by a ditch 12m wide and now about 1.5m deep. The southern ends of the east and west arms of the ditch are waterlogged. The pond is dry except during exceptionally wet weather. All post and wire fences are excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
30360
Legacy System:
RSM

Sources

Books and journals
Waggot, T, A History of the Town and Parish of Nantwich, (1883), 412
Other
Cheshire SMR, (1987)

Legal

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].