This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Littywood moated site

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Littywood moated site

List entry Number: 1017856

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Staffordshire

District: Stafford

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Bradley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 10-Jun-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 17-Nov-1992

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 22435

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

Littywood moated site survives well, its earthworks being particularly evident. It is the only example of a double concentric circular moated site in Staffordshire and illustrates well the diversity in form of this class of monument. The site has been continuously occupied since the 12th century and will contain organic material within the waterlogged moat.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes Littywood moated site, the only moated site in Staffordshire with two concentric, circular moats. It includes a central platform upon which stands Littywood House. Surrounding the platform is a dry inner moat up to 40m wide and 3m deep which is separated from the outer moat by a flat-topped bank up to 22m wide. The outer moat remains waterlogged on its eastern side but is dry on the west. Two connecting channels linking the moats have been cut through the bank on its western side. An outer bank up to 13m wide flanks the outer moat on its south-west and western sides. Access to the house is by a causeway on the north-east side. Littywood was the manorial house of the Baron of Stafford prior to passing through the Caverswall, Willoughby and Greville families. In c.1502 the manor was leased to John Stapledon whose family later claimed they had been tenants since the 12th or 13th centuries. The house was originally two timber-framed buildings still largely preserved, converted into the present house which has a later brick shell. Littywood House, all outbuildings, service pipes, inspection chambers, telegraph poles, driveways, paths, fences, walls and field boundaries are excluded from the scheduling although the ground beneath all these features is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Larkham, P J, 'Moated Settlements in South Staffordshire' in Moated Settlements in South Staffordshire, (1985), 16
Larkham, P J, 'Moated Settlements in South Staffordshire' in Moated Settlements in South Staffordshire, (1985), 25
Simpson, J, 'The Old Stafford Society Transactions for 1958-9' in Circular Moated Site at Littywood, Nr Bradley, Stafford, (1958)
Other
Darvill, T., MPP Single Monument Class Descriptions - Moats, (1988)
SMR No 56, Staffs SMR, Littywood : Bradley : Stafford,

National Grid Reference: SJ 88913 19013

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1017856 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2017 at 08:11:46.

End of official listing