Peel Hall moated site
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1017861 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2019 at 02:47:58.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Manchester (Metropolitan Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SJ 83710 86807
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
Despite limited excavation of the moat's platform, Peel Hall moated site survives well. This excavation located artefacts dating to medieval times and evidence of medieval and post-medieval buildings will survive within the unexcavated areas. Additionally organic material will be preserved within the waterlogged moat.
The monument is Peel Hall moated site. It includes a raised island measuring
c.50m square that is surrounded by a waterlogged moat 8m-14m wide and 1.2m
deep to the water level. An outer bank 10m wide and 0.3m high flanks the
moat's northern arm. Access to the island is by a triple arched medieval
sandstone bridge across the eastern arm. Secondary access is provided by a
causeway on the western arm.
Peel Hall was originally constructed by Sir John de Arderne during the mid
14th century. The house passed to the Stanley family in 1408 and remained in
their hands for 100 years after which it passed through a succession of
different owners until acquired by the Tattons. The hall was eventually
demolished in 1809 and replaced the following year by a farmhouse, which in
turn was demolished in 1975. Limited excavation of the moat platform during
the early 1970's located cobbling and medieval roof tiles.
Peel Hall bridge is a Listed building Grade II.
Peel Hall bridge, all fences, paved and tarmacked areas are excluded from the
scheduling, although the ground beneath these features is included.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Darvill, T, MPP Single Monument Class Descriptions - Moats, (1989)
DOE, List of Buildings of Historic & Architectural Interest,
Pagination 44-4, GT Manchester Archaeology Unit (Unpub), Peel Hall, Wythanshaw, (1974)
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing