This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Bowl barrow in the garden of The Old Mill

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Bowl barrow in the garden of The Old Mill

List entry Number: 1018041

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: St. Edmundsbury

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Barnham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 12-Oct-1978

Date of most recent amendment: 12-Mar-1998

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 31098

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar, although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving bowl barrows recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring across most of lowland Britain. Often occupying prominent locations, they are a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of protection.

Although the bowl barrow in the garden of The Old Mill has undergone minimal excavation, most of the barrow has been left undisturbed and will therefore retain further archaeological information concerning its construction and the manner and duration of its use. Evidence for the local environment prior to and during that time will be also preserved, in soils buried beneath the mound and in the fills of the buried ditch. The barrow is the only survivor of a cluster of at least six which originally existed to the north and west. The proximity of the barrow to this group, as well as a number of other barrows in this part of the Breckland region give it additional interest. Together they give some evidence of the character, development and density of the prehistoric population in this area.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a bowl barrow, which is located on a triangle of land to the west of the crossroads, at the south west end of Barnham and approximately 50m to the north east of a windmill built in 1821. The barrow is visible as an earthen mound, which stands to a height of about 1.6m and covers a roughly circular area with a maximum diameter of about 30m. The surrounding ground surface slopes gently to the north. Slight hollows on the north and south sides of the mound are thought to be the result of an investigation into the mound, carried out by A.R.Edwardson who excavated a 11m by 3m trench across the mound in 1957. This demonstrated that it was built up of turves with a capping of sand. A primary burial, taking the form of a contracted inhumation accompanied by a pygmy cup, was excavated from the centre of the mound. It is thought that the mound is encircled by a ditch 3m wide, which has been infilled and survives as a buried feature. The garage, which cuts into the south east corner of the mound, the surface of the driveway to the south and the fence to the north are all excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath them is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Edwardson, A R, 'Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology' in A Bronze Age Burial at Barnham, , Vol. 27, (1957), 186-190

National Grid Reference: TL 86772 79079

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1018041 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2017 at 01:24:16.

End of official listing