This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Remains of a medieval ringwork castle known as Crabb's Castle, 680m north east of Crabb's Castle Farm

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Remains of a medieval ringwork castle known as Crabb's Castle, 680m north east of Crabb's Castle Farm

List entry Number: 1018175

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: North Norfolk

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Wighton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 30-Nov-1925

Date of most recent amendment: 10-Jun-1998

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 30540

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Ringworks are medieval fortifications built and occupied from the late Anglo-Saxon period to the later 12th century. They comprised a small defended area containing buildings which was surrounded or partly surrounded by a substantial ditch and a bank surmounted by a timber palisade or, rarely, a stone wall. Occasionally a more lightly defended embanked enclosure, the bailey, adjoined the ringwork. Ringworks acted as strongholds for military operations and in some cases as defended aristocratic or manorial settlements. They are rare nationally with only 200 recorded examples and less than 60 with baileys. As such, and as one of a limited number and very restricted range of Anglo-Saxon and Norman fortifications, ringworks are of particular significance to our understanding of the period.

The ringwork known as Crabb's Castle is one of only a small number to have been identified in Norfolk and its location, commanding a view of the surrounding area and the road to the south, is characteristic of this form of earthwork. Although reduced by ploughing, it will retain archaeological information concerning the date of its construction and the manner and duration of its use, and the evidence for a substantial building within the enclosure, probably of later date than the original construction of the earthwork and suggesting continued use as a form of moated site, gives the monument additional interest.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes the buried remains of a circular enclosure believed to be a small medieval ringwork, situated on top of a low rise 200m to the north of and overlooking a minor road between Wighton and North Creake.

The enclosure has an overall diameter of approximately 61m and is defined by a single ditch which has become infilled but which produces variations in crop growth visible from the air and recorded on aerial photographs. Access was provided by a causeway across the ditch on the north east side. In the 18th century, when the earthworks were still visible, it was described as a fortification with a double ditch, but it is possible that the illusion of a second, outer ditch was produced by the presence of a counterscarp bank around the first. Although the earthworks have now been reduced by ploughing, the site remains visible as a low, circular mound approximately 0.5m in height and is marked on the surface by a concentration of building materials in the ploughsoil, chiefly flints, mortar and fragments of medieval clay roof tile which are evidence for a building constructed within the enclosure, probably in the later medieval period.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 5 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Blomefield, F, An Essay towards a Topographical History of Norfolk, (1807), 205
Other
Title: Map of Crabb's Castle Farm Source Date: 1841 Author: Publisher: Surveyor: Norfolk R O Hayes & Storr 185/17

National Grid Reference: TF 91479 39796

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1018175 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2017 at 02:17:54.

End of official listing