This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

York prebendary manor moated site, 300m north west of Hawthorn Farm

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: York prebendary manor moated site, 300m north west of Hawthorn Farm

List entry Number: 1018212

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Selby

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Riccall

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 22-Dec-1997

Date of most recent amendment: 18-Mar-1998

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 30121

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The moated prebendary manor in Riccall is a good example of a high status moated site. It is unusual because it retains a substantial part of the late medieval manor house. The site's importance is heightened by the well preserved nature of the earthworks forming the ditch and island. Archaeological deposits are considered to survive throughout the island, both under the present buildings and in open areas. Remains will include building foundations, rubbish pits, and evidence of early gardening. The moat ditch will also contain important deposits, especially within the infilled sections. The site is also well documented.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes the buried and earthwork remains of a medieval moated site for a prebendary manor house belonging to York Minster, located on the western outskirts of Riccall village. Upon the island there is a Grade II* Listed Building that incorporates substantial remains of a late medieval brick built manor house. The manor of Riccall was held by the Archbishopric of York from before the Domesday Survey. The prebendal manor house was in existence by 1294, when it was first documented, and a licence to crenellate was granted in 1350. The oldest part of the existing house is a brick built three storey tower with a five stage turret dated to c.1480. The manor and moated site passed to the Wormley family in 1651, who in 1654 made Riccall Hall, 700m to the south east, their main residence. In 1869 the manor house was enlarged to serve as a vicarage. The moated island is approximately 60m by 80m, orientated NNW-SSE. It is rhomboid in plan with the western side being 90m long, and the eastern side 70m. The upstanding late medieval building is sited centrally on the western side of the island. The encircling moat ditch is broad and deep, typically 20m wide and was originally at least 2m deep. The northern and eastern moat arms survive best; the south western part of the of the circuit survives mainly as an infilled feature, modified by 19th-century landscaping. The field to the west of the monument is lower than the island and, as a result, the western moat arm is defined on its outer western side by a bank. The island also retains some evidence of internal division with low linear banks. A number of features are excluded from the scheduling; these are all upstanding buildings, modern fences, garden walling, paving, driveway and path surfaces; although the ground beneath these features is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Other
MAP Archaeological Consultancy, Riccall Hall archaeological evaluation, 1997, Typescript report on nearby site
Printout, National Monuments Record, (1997)

National Grid Reference: SE 61587 38082

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1018212 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2017 at 02:25:33.

End of official listing