Garden gateway at Tilstone Hall 130m south of Tilstone Hall Farm
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1018339 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 14:54:43.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)
- Tilstone Fearnall
- National Grid Reference:
Reasons for Designation
Many early houses had gardens associated with them. Examples are known from as far back in time as the Roman period. During the 16th century there was a surge in interest in garden design in order to emulate the achievements of late classical models known from Latin literature and to imitate examples reported from Italy and France. The forms of such gardens might include water management with ponds and canals, elaborate geometric plantings and ornamental walls with summerhouses, banqueting houses and gazebos. These garden buildings were designed to complement the architecture of the main house and open some of the functions of the house into the garden. In particular they were to provide a place for quiet recreation and contemplation for a gentleman and his friends. A banqueting house provided a place for elaborate dining in a situation which was closer to nature and away from the cares of running an estate. The gatehouse and banqueting house at Tilstone Hall survives well despite the loss of the roof and parts of the upper storey. The building still shows a wealth of the original detail and represents a fine example of a local mixture of classical and medieval proportion and style. It is one of two surviving examples in Cheshire, the other being at Gawsworth Hall.
The monument includes the ruins of a two-storey gatehouse for a walled garden
originally attached to Tilstone Hall. The house was built around AD 1600 by
Thomas Wilbraham of Woodhey and, after damage during the Civil War, was pulled
down in about AD 1740. The gatehouse is all that remains of this mansion and
The gatehouse, which is listed Grade II, is built of red sandstone ashlar with
some brickwork repairs to the structure and brick infilling of the window
openings. On the south west front there is a central pedestrian archway with
moulded springers and ovolo moulding to the arch voussoirs. This was flanked
by mullioned widows with pediments over, now blocked with brickwork. The north
east face is similar, with a central archway and blocked mullioned windows.
One cabled Doric column survives on the right hand side of this doorway. Other
columns are now missing.
The building was probably intended to be used as a banqueting house in the
upper storey and a retreat for the enjoyment of the garden.
The post and wire fence to the south of the gateway is excluded from the
scheduling, although the ground beneath it is included.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 1 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Turner, R, Gawsworth Hall and Gardens, (1990), 7
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing