This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Warren at Everage Clough 450m north east of New Copy Farm

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Warren at Everage Clough 450m north east of New Copy Farm

List entry Number: 1018362

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Burnley

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Cliviger

County: Lancashire

District: Burnley

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Habergham Eaves

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 12-Nov-1928

Date of most recent amendment: 18-Sep-1998

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 27820

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

A warren is an area of land set aside for the breeding and management of rabbits or hares in order to provide a constant supply of fresh meat and skins. Although the hare is an indigenous species, the tradition of warren construction and use dates from the 12th century, following the introduction of rabbits into England from the continent. Warrens usually contain a number of purpose-built breeding places known as pillow mounds or rabbit buries, which were intended to centralise the colony and make catching the animals easier, whether using nets, ferrets or dogs. The mounds vary in design although rarely exceeding 0.7m in height. Earlier monuments such as burial mounds, boundary features and mottes were sometimes reused as breeding places. The mounds are usually surrounded by ditches and contain underlying channels or are situated on sloping ground to facilitate drainage. The interior of the mound may also contain nesting places constructed of stone slabs or cut into the underlying subsoil or bedrock. A typical warren may contain between one and forty pillow mounds or rabbit buries and occupy an area up to c.600ha. Many warrens were enclosed by a bank, hedge or wall intended to contain and protect the stock. Other features associated with the warren include vermin traps (usually a dead-fall mechanism within a small tunnel), and more rarely traps for the warren stock (known in Yorkshire as `types') which could contain the animals unharmed and allow for selective culling. Larger warrens might include living quarters for the warrener who kept charge of the site, sometimes surrounded by an enclosed garden and outbuildings. Early warrens were mostly associated with the higher levels of society; however, they gradually spread in popularity so that by the 16th and 17th centuries they were a common feature on most manors and estates throughout the country. Warrens continued in use until fairly recent times, finally declining in the face of 19th and 20th century changes in agricultural practice, and the onset of myxomatosis. Warrens are found in all parts of England, the earliest examples lying in the southern part of the country. Approximately 1,000 - 2,000 examples are known nationally with concentrations in upland areas, on heathland and in coastal zones. The profits from a successfully managed warren could, however, be considerable and many areas in lowland England were set aside for warrens at the expense of agricultural land. Although relatively common, warrens are important for their associations with other classes of monument, including various forms of settlement, deer parks, field systems and fishponds. They may also provide evidence of the economy of both secular and ecclesiastical estates. All well preserved medieval examples are considered worthy of protection. A sample of well preserved sites of later date will also merit protection.

Despite limited excavation of some of the pillow mounds, the warren at Everage Clough 450m north east of New Copy Farm survives reasonably well and is a good example of a small unenclosed type of this class of monument. Excavation has shown that environmental evidence is preserved within the pillow mounds, upon the old landsurface beneath the mounds, and within the fills of the ditches surrounding the mounds.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument, which is in three areas of protection, includes a small unenclosed medieval warren situated in Copy Wood on either side of Everage Clough 450m north east of New Copy Farm, and on the hillside to the west of Copy Wood. The warren includes eight pillow mounds, low oblong-shaped mounds of soil and stones in which hares or rabbits lived and were bred and managed for their fresh meat and fur. The pillow mounds vary in size from between 6.7m to 20.7m long and 4.9m to 9.1m wide, with the highest mound surviving up to approximately 1m high. They are each surrounded by shallow ditches up to 0.9m wide which originally aided drainage. Rabbit warrens gradually spread in popularity during the medieval period and by the 16th/17th centuries they were common on most manors and estates throughout the country. Although no documentary sources relating to the warren at Everage Clough are known, its location close to the medieval manor of Towneley Hall, approximately 800m to the north, is interpreted as indicating that the warren originally formed part of the Towneley estate. Limited excavation of three of the pillow mounds in 1951 found environment evidence for bracken, pine and birch together with buried soil representing the old land surface. A modern drystone wall is excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath it is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Willett, F, Seddon, T, 'TLCAS' in Excavations in Everage Clough,Burnley, 1951, (1953), 194-203
Willett, F, Seddon, T, 'TLCAS' in Excavations in Everage Clough,Burnley, 1951, (1953), 194-203
Willett, F, Seddon, T, 'TLCAS' in Excavations in Everage Clough,Burnley, 1951, (1953), 194-203
Other
Dennison,E., MPP Single Monument Class Description - Warrens, (1953)
Dennsion,E., MPP Single Monument Class Description - Warrens, (1989)
Dennsion,E., MPP Single Monument Class Description - Warrens, (1989)

National Grid Reference: SD 84918 30254, SD 85015 30034, SD 85039 30126

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1018362 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jun-2018 at 02:42:03.

End of official listing