Ringwork in Broomhall Copse
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1018371 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2019 at 10:53:51.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Waverley (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TQ 07764 34454
Reasons for Designation
Ringworks are medieval fortifications built and occupied from the late
Anglo-Saxon period to the later 12th century. They comprised a small defended
area containing buildings which was surrounded or partly surrounded by a
substantial ditch and a bank surmounted by a timber palisade or, rarely, a
stone wall. Occasionally a more lightly defended embanked enclosure, the
bailey, adjoined the ringwork. Ringworks acted as strongholds for military
operations and in some cases as defended aristocratic or manorial settlements.
They are rare nationally with only 200 recorded examples and less than 60
with baileys. As such, and as one of a limited number and very restricted
range of Anglo-Saxon and Norman fortifications, ringworks are of particular
significance to our understanding of the period.
Despite some subsequent disturbance, the ringwork in Broomhall Copse survives comparatively well, and part excavation has shown that the monument retains archaeological and environmental evidence relating to its construction, original use and abandonment.
The monument includes a medieval ringwork constructed on a sandstone and clay
ridge which forms part of the Surrey Weald. The ringwork, which is situated
just to the north of the Surrey/West Sussex county boundary, survives as a
low, circular, flat-topped mound measuring 32m in diameter, surrounded by a
defensive dry ditch up to 5.5m wide and 0.5m deep. Access to the interior was
by way of a simple, 4m wide causewayed entrance through the south eastern
defences. Fragments of glazed Norman pottery and red floor tiles were
discovered during part excavation of the mound in 1928. The investigation also
revealed large quantities of charcoal beneath a layer of disturbed ground,
indicating that the mound was the site of contemporary wooden structures which
were destroyed by burning, and the earthwork defences slighted, at the time of
the abandonment of the ringwork.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Winbolt, S E, 'Surrey Archaeological Collections' in Early Norman Castle Mound Near Rudgwick, , Vol. 38, (1930), 96-97
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing