This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Medieval fishery and warren in Home Wood

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Medieval fishery and warren in Home Wood

List entry Number: 1018455

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Central Bedfordshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Northill

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 02-Dec-1998

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 29423

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

A fishpond is an artificially created pool of slow moving freshwater constructed for the purpose of cultivating, breeding and storing fish to provide a constant and sustainable supply of food. They may be dug into the ground, embanked above ground level, or formed by placing a dam across a narrow valley. Groups of up to twelve ponds variously arranged in a single line or in a cluster and joined by leats have been recorded. The ponds may be of the same size or of several different sizes with each pond being stocked with different species or ages of fish. The size of the pond was related to function, with large ponds thought to have had a storage capability whilst smaller, shallower ponds were used for fish cultivation and breeding. Fishponds were maintained by a water management system which included inlet and outlet channels carrying water from a river or stream, a series of sluices set into the bottom of the dam and along the channels and leats, and an overflow leat which controlled fluctuations in water flow and prevented flooding. Buildings for use by fishermen or for the storage of equipment, and islands possibly used for fishing, wildfowl management or as shallow spawning areas, are also recorded. The tradition of constructing and using fishponds in England began during the medieval period and peaked in the 12th century. They were largely built by the wealthy sectors of society with monastic institutions and royal residences often having large and complex fishponds. The difficulties of obtaining fresh meat in the winter and the value placed on fish in terms of its protein content and as a status food may have been factors which favoured the development of fishponds and which made them so valuable. The practice of constructing fishponds declined after the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the 16th century although in some areas it continued into the 17th century. Most fishponds fell out of use during the post-medieval period although some were re-used as ornamental features in 19th and early 20th century landscape parks or gardens, or as watercress beds. Documentary sources provide a wealth of information about the way fishponds were stocked and managed. The main species of fish kept were eel, tench, pickerel, bream, perch, and roach. Large quantities of fish could be supplied at a time. Once a year, probably in the spring, ponds were drained and cleared. Fishponds are widely scattered throughout England and extend into Scotland and Wales. The majority are found in central, eastern and southern parts and in areas with heavy clay soils. Fewer fishponds are found in coastal areas and parts of the country rich in natural lakes and streams where other sources of fresh fish were available. Although 17th century manuals suggest that areas of waste ground were suitable for fishponds, in practice it appears that most fishponds were located close to villages, manors or monasteries or within parks so that a watch could be kept on them to prevent poaching. Although approximately 2000 examples are recorded nationally, this is thought to be only a small proportion of those in existence in medieval times. Despite being relatively common, fishponds are important for their associations with other classes of medieval monument and in providing evidence of site economy.

The largely undisturbed fishery complex in Home Wood is exceptionally well preserved, retaining visible evidence of all the major components which made up the stock and water management systems on the site. It is all the more interesting on account of its unusual size for a manorial (as opposed to monastic) property, and its comparative isolation from the settlement to which it belonged. The partly buried channels and ponds will provide detailed information concerning the water management system, and contain waterlogged deposits from which both artefacts and environmental evidence can be retrieved to illustrate the development of the site, and the landscape in which it was set. The island may also retain buried information for structures associated with the operation of the fishery, as well as the warren which is thought to have occupied the eastern side.

Rabbit warrens, like fishponds, were devised in order to provide a constant supply of fresh meat. The pelts, of course, were also of considerable value. The tradition of constructing artificial warrens dates from the 12th century, following the introduction of rabbits into England from the continent. Warrens usually contain artificial breeding places, known as pillow mounds or rabbit buries, which were intended to centralise the colony and make catching the animals easier, whether by using nets, ferrets or dogs. Many warrens were also enclosed by walls, ditches, banks or hedges in order to contain and protect the stock; larger warrens might even include living quarters for the warrener who kept charge of the site. Early warrens were mostly associated with the higher levels of society; however, they gradually spread in popularity so that by the 16th and 17th centuries they were a common feature of manors and estates throughout the country. The practice declined in the 18th century as a result of the increased availability of imported furs, and ultimately ceased as a result of changes in agricultural practice in the 19th and early 20th century. Warrens may provide evidence of the economy of both secular and ecclesiastical estates, especially when associated with other forms of husbandry such as deer parks, field systems and fishponds. All well preserved medieval examples are considered worthy of protection. The earthworks in Home Wood include evidence for the establishment of a sizeable artificial warren alongside the fishpond complex, utilising the upcast from the ditch which served both as part of the water management system and as the warren boundary. Taking both aspects together, the complex represents a significant component of the medieval landscape created to support the economy of the manor, and provides a graphic illustration of the sophistication of medieval husbandry.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes the visible and buried remains of a medieval fishpond and warren complex located within a small valley to the west of the village of Northill, some 550m south west of St Mary's Church.

The complex is defined by a broad ditch surrounding a roughly rectangular island orientated NNW-SSE in line with the valley floor. The western arm of the perimeter ditch is 10m-12m wide and some 170m in length, water-filled from springs on the valley floor, and flanked by a slight outer bank which is thought to have resulted from periodic dredging during the period of use. The eastern arm is similar in width but different in character, with a more pronounced `V'-shaped profile cut into the rising ground to a depth of 3m. It is now normally dry. A substantial internal bank created from the upcast follows the entire length, rising to a pronounced knoll at the southern end. The western halves of the southern and northern arms remain waterfilled or waterlogged for much of the year. These are generally no more than 6m in width, although the western part of the northern ditch appears to have been widened prior to 1781 - the date of the earliest known large scale map of the area. Between 1781 and 1884 a linear pond was added to the north west corner of the perimeter ditch. This pond has since been enlarged and extended further to the north. It is not included in the scheduling.

The island is divided in two lengthways by a broad central ditch and the western half is further sub-divided into three rectangular compartments, each surrounded by interconnecting ditches and containing arrangements of between three and four narrow rectangular fishponds. Narrow breaches in the inner face of the perimeter ditch and junctions with the main central channel indicate the means by which the flow of water through this system was originally regulated. The ponds and connecting ditches vary between 0.5m and 1m in depth and contain considerable deposits of waterlogged silt and leaf mould.

The eastern side of the island is generally level and may have contained a dwelling for the keeper and other buildings related to the management of the fishery. It has also been suggested that this side saw use as a managed rabbit warren, with the level area acting as warren pasture and the large internal bank and knoll to the east serving as a purpose-built nesting area or pillow mound. The surrounding ditch, when fully wet, would have provided an effective means of confining the rabbit population, the only point of access being a narrow causeway across the northern arm which may well be a later addition. The original entrance is thought to have been a bridge, the location of which is marked by a gap in the internal bank near the centre of the eastern arm.

The complex is believed to have been attached to the medieval estate of Northill Manor, which was located on the crest of the slope to the east, slightly to the west of the church. It certainly formed part of the Manor's property by the late 18th century, although it is not known whether it was still actively managed at that time.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Bigmore, P, Beds And Hunts Landscape, (1979)
Simco, A, Medieval fishery, Home Wood, Northill, (1988)
Simco, A, Medieval fishery, Home Wood, Northill, (1988)
Simco, A, Medieval fishery, Home Wood, Northill, (1988)
Marson, F W, 'Bedfordshire Magazine' in Northill: Village of the Ivel Valley, , Vol. Vol 1, (1960), 142
Other
Notes on discoveries in 1949 & 1986, Simco, A, Home Wood, Northill, (1988)
Title: BRO X1/87 Map of Northill Source Date: 1781 Author: Publisher: Surveyor: Beds Record Office
Title: Ordnance Survey 25" Series Source Date: 1884 Author: Publisher: Surveyor:

National Grid Reference: TL 14407 46311

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1018455 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2017 at 09:50:39.

End of official listing