This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Thorny Close moated site, Northbeck

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Thorny Close moated site, Northbeck

List entry Number: 1018539

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: North Kesteven

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Scredington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 24-Dec-1998

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 31602

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The remains of Thorny Close moated site at Northbeck, survive well as a series of earthworks and buried deposits. The artifical raising of the moated island above the prevailing ground level, together with the banks, will preserve evidence of land use prior to the construction of the moat. Waterlogging in the base of the moat will preserve organic remains, such as timber, leather and seeds, which will give an insight into domestic and economic activity on the site.

The moat at Thorny Close is one of only two surviving moated sites of a group of five formerly located within a small area in the parish; as such it will preserve valuable evidence for the way in which this group of sites interrelated as components of the medieval landscape.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a moated site at Northbeck approximately 150m north east of Manor Farm. The moated site is one of a group of five that existed in and around the village of Scredington within a 1.25km radius. The land holdings in this area during the Middle Ages were characterised by a complex estate structure. In 1086 two parcels of land were recorded, of these one settlement centre is thought to have been established in Scredington and the other at Northbeck.

Situated on relatively level ground, the moat complex covers an area measuring approximately 110m by 70m with a broad arm, measuring 12m across, extending beyond the north west corner of the moat for a distance of approximately 35m, indicating that a further enclosure may formerly have existed on the western side of the moat. The remains include a rectangular platform, or island, measuring approximately 75m by 35m surrounded by a 10m to 12m wide moat now filled by a shallow depth of ground water. The island, which is slightly raised in the centre, is now entered by a modern earthen causeway near the south western corner. The north eastern corner of the moat has been altered since medieval times and now curves outward, measuring up to 15m wide.

There is a pronounced external bank on the north side of the moated site and a low broad bank to the south. The northern bank measures 6m to 7m across and stands 0.5m to 1m in height with a flattened top. The bank at the southern edge of the moat is approximately 6m in width and survives to an average height of 0.2m.

All fences are excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath them is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Healey, RH, Roffe, DR, Some medieval and later earthworks in South Lincolnshire, (1990), 95-97
Butler, L A S, 'Journal of the British Archaeological Association' in Hambleton Moat, Scredington, Lincolnshire, , Vol. 26, (1963), 51-78
Other
Gandy, Mr , (1997)
Title: Scredington Inclosure plan Source Date: 1797 Author: Publisher: Surveyor: tithe award

National Grid Reference: TF 09623 41217

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1018539 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2017 at 05:51:58.

End of official listing