This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Moated site 80m west of Cedars Farm

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Moated site 80m west of Cedars Farm

List entry Number: 1018667

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Aylesbury Vale

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Mursley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 01-Feb-1999

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 32107

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The moated site 80m west of Cedars Farm survives well. It is largely undisturbed and will retain buried evidence for structures and other features relating to the period of occupation. The buried silts in the base of the moat ditch will contain both artefacts relating to the period of occupation and environmental evidence for the appearance of the landscape in which the monument was set. The monument lies in an area where moated sites are relatively numerous, and further moated sites are situated approximately 3.6km to the north west at Little Horwood and 4km to the south east at Stewkley. Comparisons between the sites will provide valuable insights into developments into the nature of settlement and society in the medieval period.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a medieval moated site located immediately to the south west of Main Street in the village of Mursley and 80m west of Cedars Farm. The moated site includes a roughly 22m square island, which is raised by about 0.4m above the surrounding ground level. The island is surrounded by a steep sided dry ditch which measures approximately 1.6m deep and averages 8m in width on the north east, north west and south west sides. The south eastern arm, which measures about 16m in width, extends for a further 10m in a south westerly direction. Visible around the outside edge of the ditch on all four sides is an outer bank, approximately 4m wide and 0.4m high which is thought to represent upcast from the ditch. Shallow depressions on the north west side of the moat on the edge of the island and the outer edge of the ditch are believed to mark the site of a bridge. An 8m wide gap, cut through the external bank on the south east side of the moat, is thought to be comparatively modern, post-dating a mapped depiction of the monument from 1880.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Selected Sources

Other
Title: 1st Edition 25" Ordnance Survey Map Source Date: 1880 Author: Publisher: Surveyor: XIX.12

National Grid Reference: SP 81827 28371

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1018667 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2017 at 08:20:55.

End of official listing