This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Moated site 325m south east of Branston Lodge

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Moated site 325m south east of Branston Lodge

List entry Number: 1018724

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: North Kesteven

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Branston and Mere

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 21-Jan-1999

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 31604

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The moated site 325m south east of Branston Lodge survives well as a series of earthworks and buried deposits. They have been little altered since medieval times indicating that archaeological remains are likely to survive intact. The waterlogging in the moat will preserve organic remains such as timber, leather and seeds, which will provide valuable information about domestic and economic activity on the site. In addition, the raised ground level on the island and the external banks will preserve earlier ground surfaces which will provide evidence of land use prior to the construction of the moat. As a result of archaeological survey the earthworks are quite well understood.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a medieval moated site on Branston Moor, 325m to the south east of Branston Lodge. Overlooking the Fens to the north east, it is thought to be associated with medieval improvement of the wasteland and may have been a grange of Kirkstead Abbey. The abbey is known to have built a grange in the parish during the 12th century and also had various sheepfolds in Branston.

The moated site is large and regular in shape with a wide moat, and covers an area measuring approximately 90m by 85m, including the remains of an external bank. The visible remains include a square platform, or island, measuring approximately 55m across, completely enclosed by a 12m to 18m wide water- filled moat. Part of the island appears to be slightly raised above the level of the surrounding ground and may indicate the site of a former building. The location of the original access to the island is no longer evident.

There is an outlet at the eastern corner of the moat, controlled by a sluice, with an infilled inlet at the southern corner of the moat. Two external banks lie along the moat arms, one to the north east, measuring 9m in width, with a long outer slope and a second external bank, 5m wide, lying along the south western moat arm; the slight earthworks of another external bank are visible on the south east side. Rectangular features on the south western side of the island and visible on aerial photographs in 1946 are thought to represent the remains of ponds.

All fences are excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath them is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Healey, RH, Roffe, DR, Some medieval and later earthworks in South Lincolnshire, (1990), 36
Other
Bailey, W T, (1997)
Creasey, D, (1997)
nos. 5488 and 5889, 3G/TUD/UK197, Aerial Photograph, (1946)

National Grid Reference: TF 06261 68301

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1018724 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2017 at 09:37:54.

End of official listing