Moated site 410m south east of Maukins


Heritage Category:
Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:


Ordnance survey map of Moated site 410m south east of Maukins
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1018726 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-May-2019 at 16:17:00.


The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Milton Keynes (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 94125 48121

Reasons for Designation

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The moated site 410m south east of Maukins survives well. The island is largely undisturbed and will retain buried evidence for structures and other features relating to the period of occupation. The buried silts in the base of the ditch will contain both artefacts relating to the period of occupation and environmental evidence for the appearance of the landscape in which the monument was set. A small part of this medieval landscape survives in the loop road which abuts the moat and which originally connected the individual crofts of the medieval settlement.

The moated site is additionally important as it represents the last visible element of the now ploughed-out medieval village.

The monument lies in an area where moated sites are relatively numerous, and is situated in close proximity to three other such sites in the parish of Hardmead and another at Wood Farm, Clifton Reynes, 3.5km to the north west. Comparisons between these sites will provide valuable insights into the nature of settlement and society in the medieval period.


The monument includes a medieval moated site 410m south east of Maukins.

The moated site includes a rectangular island measuring some 50m north east- south west by a maximum of 78m north west-south east. The island is surrounded by a water-filled ditch which measures up to 6m wide and at least 2m in depth. An outer bank, measuring a maximum of 2m wide and thought to represent upcast from the ditch, is visible on four sides of the moat. Access to the island is via a causeway on the north western side.

The moated site is believed to be the principal manor of Hardmead belonging to the principal fee held by the Windsor family in the 12th century. In the 13th and 14th centuries it was held by the Bending and de Olney families. After the Reformation the disused manor house was taken over by the rector and a new rectory was built within the moat. A terrier of 1607, surveyed by William Fowler, rector in 1627, states that the parsonage house was `compassed by a moat'. The moat is recorded as enclosing the two storey, six bay parsonage, two barns and a hay house and that behind the house were fruit trees and a garden plot. Prior to 1802 the rectory had been converted into tenements for the poor of the parish and was finally demolished in the mid-19th century. The moat is believed to be one of the few surviving elements of the `northern' end of the medieval village of Hardmead which originally stood immediately to the north and west. The village was occupied during the 13th and 14th centuries and existed as a shrunken village until as late as the mid-19th century when severe unemployment and poverty led to abandonment.

The archaeological remains of the medieval village were recorded during a survey and watching brief carried out in 1973-74 by the Milton Keynes Archaeological Unit, prior to levelling of surviving earthworks in order to convert the land from pasture to arable. A series of crofts and tofts were recorded running along the inner edge of a contemporary road curving through the settlement.

A 14m section of this road surviving immediately to the north west of the moat is included in the scheduling, in order to protect the archaeological relationship between the road and the moated site. The area of the medieval village is not included in the scheduling.

The fences around the outside edge of the moat ditch and the pheasant coop on the island are excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath these features is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Chibnall, A C, Beyond Sherington, (1979), 143-4
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County, (1969), 362-364
Smith, P, 'Records of Buckinghamshire' in Hardmead And Its Deserted Village, (1985), 44
Smith, P, 'Records of Buckinghamshire' in Hardmead And Its Deserted Village, (1985), 46
Add MS 5839, Fowler, W, Terrier of 1607, (1627)
Copy in Bucks Record Office, Bankes, R, The Plot of the Manor of Hardmead, (1638)


This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].