This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Civil War redoubt 150m east of Tissington Hall

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Civil War redoubt 150m east of Tissington Hall

List entry Number: 1018870

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: Derbyshire Dales

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Tissington and Lea Hall

National Park: PEAK DISTRICT

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 15-Feb-1999

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 29939

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

English Civil War fieldworks are earthworks which were raised during military operations between 1642 and 1645 to provide temporary protection for infantry or to act as gun emplacements. The earthworks, which may have been reinforced with revetting and palisades, consisted of banks and ditches and varied in complexity from simple breastworks to complex systems of banks and inter- connected trenches. They can be recognised today as surviving earthworks or as crop- or soil-marks on aerial photographs. The circumstances and cost of their construction may be referred to in contemporary historical documents. Fieldworks are recorded widely throughout England with concentrations in the main areas of campaigning. Those with a defensive function were often sited to protect settlements or their approaches. Those with an offensive function were designed to dominate defensive positions and to contain the besieged areas. There are some 150 surviving examples of fieldworks recorded nationally. All examples which survive well and/or represent particular forms of construction are identified as nationally important.

The remains of the redoubt at Tissington survive particularly well as a series of substantial earthworks and will retain significant archaeological potential in the form of buried deposits. The archaeological evidence combined with the documentary records will contribute to the understanding of Civil War activity in the area and its effects on the wider landscape.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes the buried and earthwork remains of a Civil War redoubt at Tissington. A redoubt is a fieldwork used during military operations to provide temporary protection for infantry or to act as gun emplacements. The monument is situated on the brow of a hill and affords good views of the main, northern approach road into the village, Tissington Hall and the church. The remains include a three sided square enclosure which measures approximately 28m across. The enclosure is defined by an internal bank, or rampart, which measures up to 0.75m high and 5m wide with an external ditch approximately 3m wide. Another bank runs parallel to the western side of the ditch and measures approximately 5m wide. This would have served to enhance the edge of the ditch on the west side where the land slopes steeply away. Tissington Hall was garrisoned for the king by its owner, Colonel Fitzherbert in December 1643. In 1644 the Parliamentarians routed the Royalists hereabouts but following unsuccessful action near Ashbourne in February 1644, the garrison was withdrawn.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 5 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Lysons, Reverend D, Lysons, S, Magna Britannia. A concise topographical account of several coun, (1817), 63-64
Other
SMR entry: 14314 Tissington shrunken village, (1998)

National Grid Reference: SK 17633 52334

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1018870 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Nov-2017 at 03:10:25.

End of official listing