Moated site 800m NNW of Pipplepen Farmhouse
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1018923 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 25-May-2019 at 16:37:08.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- South Somerset (District Authority)
- North Perrott
- National Grid Reference:
- ST 47172 08399
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
The medieval moated site 800m NNW of Pipplepen Farmhouse survives well and will contain archaeological deposits and environmental evidence relating to the moated site and the landscape in which it was constructed. It is a good example of its class and documentary evidence suggests it was the medieval mansion residence of the De Pipplepens.
The monument includes a medieval moated site on Pipplepen Farm, situated on
level ground in an area of gently undulating hills east of the River Parrett.
The moated site, of an irregular diamond shape, follows a north to south
alignment and includes a central platform and moat. The platform is elevated
above the surrounding ground level and is approximately 80m long and 75m
across. It is enclosed by a moat with an average depth of 4m and varying width
of 3m to 6m wide. It is water-logged for most of its circuit. An external bank
encloses the moat and this is most apparent on the north side where it
survives as a low earthwork up to 8m wide. Traces of buildings within the
moated area have been recorded in the past and although these are no longer
visible at ground level, they are likely to survive as below ground features.
An entrance into the enclosed area, located on the east side of the moat, is
considered to be the original access. Another entrance located on the south
west is a more recent addition.
A contemporary reference records that a manor called Pupelpenne, or Pipplepen,
had been created by 1219 and it is believed that the moated site is probably
the medieval mansion home of the De Pipplepens.
The concrete drain, which runs in to the north east corner of the moat,
together with all fence posts, are excluded from the scheduling, although the
ground beneath these features is included.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Batten, J, 'Proceedings of Somerset Archaeological & Natural History Society' in Notes on North Perriott, , Vol. 41, (1895), 80-81
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing