This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Moated site and fishponds 250m south west of Middleton Farm

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Moated site and fishponds 250m south west of Middleton Farm

List entry Number: 1019009

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Shropshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Chirbury with Brompton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 25-Jun-1973

Date of most recent amendment: 24-Nov-2000

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 32323

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The moated site and fishponds 250m south west of Middleton Farm survive well despite some disturbance from agricultural practices and an archaeological excavation. This limited investigation has helped to demonstrate the nature, extent and date of structural remains and associated deposits existing on the moated island. These remains together with the artefacts and organic remains surviving on the island and in the moat will provide valuable evidence about the occupation and social status of the inhabitants. Organic remains surviving in the buried ground surface under the external banks, and within the moat, will also provide information about the changes to the local environment and the use of the land before and after the moated site was constructed. Fishponds were constructed throughout the medieval period with many dating to the 12th century. The direct association of the moated site with these ponds provides further evidence about the economy and lifestyle of the occupants of the site during the medieval period.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes the earthwork and buried remains of a medieval moated site and fishponds. The moated site and fishponds occupy an elevated postion at the base of a south west facing slope. The moat, which is waterlogged, defines a small square island, approximately 20m across. The arms of the moat are between 12m and 14m wide and are bounded on all but the north east side by external banks created from material excavated from the moat. A small-scale archaeological excavation of the island was conducted in 1975. The remains of stone-built structures of medieval date were revealed. Artefacts found included roofing slabs and a range of metal objects, including a coin dated to circa 1430. Upslope, to the south east of the moated site, are the remains of two small embanked fishponds, one of which retains a little water. The size and arrangement of these ponds indicate that they were used for the breeding and storing of fish. The nearby stream would have been diverted in order to supply the fishponds and the moat with water, and a short channel, or leat, connected one of the ponds to the moat. All modern fences and gates are excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath them is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SO 29633 98750

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1019009 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Nov-2017 at 02:15:07.

End of official listing