This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Moated site 90m south of Bendyshe Farm

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Moated site 90m south of Bendyshe Farm

List entry Number: 1019175

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: East Cambridgeshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Bottisham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 05-Jan-2001

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 33269

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

Fishponds are artificially created pools of slow moving fresh water constructed for the purpose of cultivating, breeding and storing fish in order to provide a constant and sustainable food supply. The tradition of constructing and using fishponds began in the medieval period and reached a peak of popularity in the 12th century. They were largely the province of the wealthier sectors of medieval society, and are considered an important source of information concerning the economy of various classes of medieval settlements and institutions.

Despite some partial infilling, the moated site and associated fishpond 90m south of Bendyshe Farm survive well. The island will retain evidence for structures and other features relating to the period of occupation. The buried silts in the base of the moat and pond will contain both artefacts relating to the period of occupation and environmental evidence for the appearance of the landscape in which the moated site was set.

Comparisons between this site and further examples, both locally and more widely, will provide valuable insights into the development of settlement in medieval England.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a medieval moated site and associated fishpond 90m south of Bendyshe Farm and 200m south west of the parish church in the village of Bottisham.

The moated site includes a rectangular island measuring approximately 60m east-west by at least 70m north-south which is raised by at least 0.5m above the surrounding ground surface. The island is surrounded by a moat on the east, south and part of the west side measuring up to 9m wide and 2m deep. The northern arm of the moat, and the northern end of the western arm, have been infilled and now survive as buried features. Immediately adjacent to the west of the southern arm and on the same alignment, is a linear pond measuring 80m long by at least 10m wide, which is thought to represent a fishpond contemporary with the moated site.

The moated site is believed to be associated with Thomas de Bendish, who held an estate in the parish in 1288. A large red brick house with a chapel at one end formerly stood on the island and was demolished in the early 19th century; this is thought to have been a post-medieval building replacing an earlier manor house on the site.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Hailstone, E, History of Bottisham, (1873), 88-89
Other
(1984)
Title: 1st Edition 25" Ordnance Survey Map Source Date: 1886 Author: Publisher: Surveyor: 51.14
Title: 1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map Source Date: 1886 Author: Publisher: Surveyor: CRO: XLI:14
Title: Enclosure map of Bottisham Source Date: 1801 Author: Publisher: Surveyor: CRO: Q/RDc12
Title: Map of the Parish of Bottisham Source Date: 1793 Author: Publisher: Surveyor: CRO: R71/38

National Grid Reference: TL 54416 60335

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1019175 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2017 at 05:52:47.

End of official listing