Boundary stone 110m north west of St Mary's Church

Overview

Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument

List Entry Number: 1019216

Date first listed: 21-Jun-1972

Date of most recent amendment: 09-Feb-2001

Map

Ordnance survey map of Boundary stone 110m north west of St Mary's Church
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1019216 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2018 at 14:47:14.

Location

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: West Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Belstone

County: Devon

District: West Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Sticklepath

National Park: DARTMOOR

National Grid Reference: SX 63886 94135

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Boundary stones of different dates and functions are found in large numbers throughout Dartmoor. Most were erected to denote the boundary of a particular land holding, activity or administrative area such as a parish. In some instances existing rocks or stones were used, but normally stones were erected by the boundary makers. Most boundary stones are inscribed with letters or numbers to indicate their purpose and sometimes they are dated. Amongst the boundaries denoted by stones are parishes, manors, communications, tinworks, warrens, quarries, private and public land holdings. Amongst the more unusual are a group of parole stones which denote the boundary beyond which officers of the French army who had been taken prisoner were not allowed to pass. Despite being moved a short distance in 1829, the boundary stone 110m north west of St Mary's Church remains in its original setting and bears a series of carved motifs of unusual character.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a boundary stone situated at the foot of rising ground 110m north west of St Mary's Church. The granite pillar measures 1.4m high by 0.4m wide on the eastern face and 0.3m thick on the southern side. On the southern face of the stone is a cross carved in relief. This cross is 0.5cm proud of the stone surface and measures 0.7m high by up to 0.16m wide. At the top of the southern face is a 4cm diameter and 1.5cm deep circular hollow. On the northern face there is another similar hollow and this measures 3cm in diameter and 1.5cm deep. The western face of the pillar bears eroded carvings which are no longer clearly discernable but are said to include wavy lines, St Andrew's crosses and hour glass markings.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 28756

Legacy System: RSM

Sources

Books and journals
Masson Phillips, E, 'Devonshire Association Transactions' in The Ancient Stone Crosses of Devon : Part 1, , Vol. 69, (1936-37), 331

End of official listing