The Monk's Well conduit house 280m WNW of Monkton Farleigh Manor House
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1019385 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 22-Jul-2019 at 21:19:02.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
- Monkton Farleigh
- National Grid Reference:
- ST 80362 65692
Reasons for Designation
Well houses are medieval structures built to protect and supply water to institutions such as monasteries and abbeys. They are small, typically stone built structures placed over a spring or near several water sources. The water which was collected in a stone or lead tank was transported to its destination in lead pipes or gutters. The surrounding structure protected the tank from contamination. The Monk's Well conduit house at Monkton Farleigh is a well-preserved and complete example which has probably supplied water to the priory and manor house since the early 12th century. This example is notable for its unusually steep pitched roof of limestone slabs.
The monument includes the Monk's Well, a 14th century conduit house which is
situated on a limestone rise to the west of Monkton Farleigh Manor House. The
building is 2.73m square, and built of local limestone. The roof is steep,
constructed from limestone slabs reaching a height of 3m, and supported inside
by four stone ribs. The wooden door is located in the east wall facing towards
the manor house. Above the door there is a small slot window flanked on each
side by a square window. The floor of the conduit house is some 0.5m below
ground level. Water flows from a springline further up the slope along a
conduit through the back wall and into a stone tank set into the ground. From
here it drains into a pipe which runs to the manor which is still supplied
from this source.
The upper part of the building was rebuilt in 1784 and the name `Squire
Turner' is carved into the front wall with this date.
The Monk's Well, which is a Listed Building Grade II, was built to protect the
water supply of the Cluniac priory at Monkton Farleigh which was founded soon
after 1120 and dissolved in 1536. The remains of the priory are part of the
current manor house which is protected as a Listed Building Grade I. The manor
house and priory are not included in the scheduling.
A free-standing water filter system inside the building is excluded from the
scheduling although the ground beneath is included.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Chettle, H F, Kirby, J L, The Victoria History of the County of Wiltshire: Monkton Farleigh, (1956), 262-268
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing