Moated site 60m west of Edlaston Hall
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1019492 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2019 at 11:34:21.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Derbyshire Dales (District Authority)
- Edlaston and Wyaston
- National Grid Reference:
- SK 17578 42922
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
The earthwork and buried remains of the moated site 60m west of Edlaston Hall are well preserved and will retain important archaeological and environmental evidence in buried deposits. The moat will contribute to our knowledge and understanding of the development and working of medieval manorial centres in the area and the position they held in the wider landscape.
The monument includes the earthwork and buried remains of a moated site at
Edlaston. The monument is situated to the west of Edlaston Hall on a terrace
between two small tributaries of the River Dove.
The moated site survives as a series of earthworks and buried remains. The
moat, which is approximately 12m wide, up to 0.5m deep and U-shaped in section
surrounds a sub-rectangular, central platform. The southern and eastern arms
of the ditch have been infilled but their layout is clearly evident from
aerial photographs. The enclosed platform measures approximately 30m by 26m
with evidence of features on its surface. These take the form of low
undulations and are interpreted as the remains of medieval buildings but the
precise layout of these is difficult to define on the ground surface.
All modern fences are excluded from the scheduling although the ground beneath
them is included.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
No. 93.08.13 date 31.12.93 SK175428, Edlaston Hall, R. F. Hartley, (1993)
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing