This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Two moated sites adjoining St Andrew's Church, with associated remains of medieval settlement at Pound Green

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Two moated sites adjoining St Andrew's Church, with associated remains of medieval settlement at Pound Green

List entry Number: 1019523

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: St. Edmundsbury

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Brockley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 24-Jan-2001

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 33286

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The two moated sites and associated settlement remains adjoining St Andrew's Church survive well. The islands remain relatively undisturbed by post- medieval and modern activity and will retain buried evidence for earlier structures and other features relating to the development and character of the site throughout its periods of occupation. The buried silts in the base of the moat will contain both artefacts relating to early habitation of the site and organic materials, likely to be preserved in waterlogged deposits in the moat, including environmental evidence relating to the character of the landscape in which the moated sites were set.

Comparative studies between this site and further examples, both locally and more widely, will provide valuable insights into the development of settlement in medieval England.

The area of land to the west of the north east moat and to the north west of St Andrew's Church will contain evidence for further archaeological activity relating to medieval occupation of the site. It shows little evidence of recent disturbance and, together with the moated sites of the medieval manor and rectory and the church, are considered to represent the remains of a small greenside hamlet, of a type characteristic in this part of Suffolk, where dispersed settlements, as opposed to nucleated villages, are common. The monument as a whole is therefore of particular interest for the study of the historic pattern of rural settlement in this region.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes two moated enclosures located immediately to the north east and south west of St Andrew's Church, together with an associated area of medieval settlement between the two, directly to the north and west of the church.

The south western moated site includes a roughly rectangular island measuring up to 82m east to west by 60m north to south which has been terraced into the slope. This is enclosed by a partly waterfilled moat measuring an average of 14m wide and up to 3m in depth. A causeway across the north arm of the moat is known to have been in use before 1847 and is thought to represent the original access to the island. The southern part of the island is occupied by Brockley Hall, a Listed Building Grade I, which dates from the late 13th century.

The north eastern moated enclosure includes an island measuring up to 42m east to west by 24m north to south, which is enclosed by a waterfilled moat measuring an average of 7m wide and 1.5m deep. The northern arm of the moat extends westwards for 46m beyond the north west corner. A shallow bank, up to 6m wide, to the north of the north arm of the moat and the western extension, is thought to have been constructed with material upcast from the moat and forms a dam between the northern arm and the stream immediately to the north. A narrow leat links the north east corner of the moat to the stream.

An L-shaped area to the west of the north east moated enclosure and to the north east of St Andrew's Church, contains earthworks which are considered to mark remains of associated medieval settlement, and is therefore included in the scheduling.

The south western moat is thought to represent the site of Brockley Hall Manor which arose out of the estates of Peter and Alan de Brockley, held of the Abbot of St Edmunds, in the late 12th century. In 1286 the lordship was held of the abbey by John Algar for one knight's fee and encompassed `a messuage, 250 acres of land, 10 acres of wood, 8 acres of meadow and pasture, a windmill and the advowson of the church'. In 1302/3 Robert de Northwold settled the manor of Brockley on Alexander, son of Ralph de Walsham, and Joan his wife. Alexander de Walsham is recorded in 1316 as being `lord of the township of Brockley'. The north east moated enclosure is believed to represent the original site of the rectory and may be contemporary with both the south west moat and St Andrew's Church. Both moated enclosures have changed little since 1847 when they were depicted on the Tithe map of Brockley.

Brockley Hall, the modern garage, outhouses, sheds, walls, septic tank, steps and gates which stand within the south western moated site, along with the footbridge across the southern arm of the south western moat and all fences, tarmac and concrete surfaces are excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath these features is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
The Victoria History of the County of Suffolk - Moated Enclosures with Stronger Defensive Earthworks, (1911), 606
Gage, J, History of Suffolk Thingoe Hundred, (1838), 606
'Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology' in Notes, , Vol. 37, (1991), 13-16
Copinger, W A, 'The Manors of Suffolk' in Brockley, , Vol. VII, (1911), 13-16
Other
4/42, Brockley Hall, (1955)
O S Arch Div Field Investigators Cmt, Stevens, P A, TL 85 NW 7, (1976)
O S Arch. Division Field Invest., Stevens, P A, TL 85 NW 7, (1976)
Title: 2nd Edition 25" Ordnance Survey Map Source Date: 1904 Author: Publisher: Surveyor: SRO (Bury): 54.9/10/13/14
Title: 2nd Edition 25" Ordnance Survey Map Source Date: 1904 Author: Publisher: Surveyor: SRO (Bury): 54.9/10/13/14
Title: Tithe Map and Apportionment of Brockley Parish Source Date: 1847 Author: Publisher: Surveyor: SRO (Bury): T130/1,2
Title: Tithe Map and Apportionment of Brockley Source Date: 1847 Author: Publisher: Surveyor: SRO(Bury): T130/1,2
Title: Tithe Map and Apportionment Source Date: 1847 Author: Publisher: Surveyor: SRO(Bury): T130/1,2

National Grid Reference: TL 82705 55555

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1019523 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2017 at 12:32:28.

End of official listing