Dovecote 300m south of Hodnet Hall

Overview

Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument

List Entry Number: 1019652

Date first listed: 24-Jun-1971

Date of most recent amendment: 09-Mar-2001

Map

Ordnance survey map of Dovecote 300m south of Hodnet Hall
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1019652 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 06:50:50.

Location

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Hodnet

National Grid Reference: SJ 60929 28180

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Dovecotes are specialised structures designed for the breeding and keeping of doves as a source of food and as a symbol of high social status. Most surviving examples were built in the period between the 14th and the 17th centuries, although both earlier and later examples are documented. They were generally freestanding structures, square or circular in plan and normally of brick or stone, with nesting boxes built into the internal wall. They were frequently sited at manor houses or monasteries. Whilst a relatively common monument class (1500 examples are estimated to survive out of an original population of c.25,000), most will be considered to be of national interest, although the majority will be listed rather than scheduled. They are also generally regarded as an important component of local distinctiveness and character.

The dovecote 300m south of Hodnet Hall survives well and is one of the very few decorated square brick-built dovecotes in the country. Despite the change in its use from a dovecote to a byre the nest boxes have been preserved, together with many of the external features adorning the building. The relationship between the dovecote and the earlier field system demonstrates the changing nature of land use and tenure from the medieval to the post-medieval period in this area.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes the remains of a dovecote 300m south of Hodnet Hall which was built in 1870. The dovecote is situated about 250m south west of the site of the former Hodnet Hall, a large timber-framed mansion, which was demolished when the new hall was built, and 130m west of a timber-framed barn, dated 1619. Both of these structures lie within Hodnet Park, a 20th century designed landscape incorporating earlier landscape features, including a medieval deer park. Hodnet Park is a Registered Park and Garden Grade II. The dovecote was constructed on level ground on top of a low ridge in an area that had been previously cultivated. The broad cultivation strips (ridge and furrow) that surround the dovecote are not included in the scheduling. The dovecote, which is a Listed Building Grade II*, is a square two gable- ended structure measuring 6.55m externally and 5.2m internally. It is built of brick with dressed white sandstone quoins, kneelers (horizontal decorative projections at the base of the gables) and coping stones, and a plain tile roof with a central square wooden glover or louvre. On the ground floor in the centre of the northern gable there is a low doorway, defined by white sandstone dressed chamfered blocks and a lintel. The wooden door consists of three boards held together with strap hinges. The doorway has been blocked internally with brick. Above the doorway, on the exterior face of the wall, is a recessed arched panel containing an ornamental terracotta surround bearing the inscription `TM 1656 IM'. There is a smaller recessed arched panel on either side of the larger panel, one of which contains a moulded figure of an animal. Above these panels, and continuing around the building, is a moulded stone string course and a row of lozenge-shaped recessed panels. Many of these panels, like those in the northern gable, contain remnants of the former render. Within both gables there is a two-light double-chamfered mullion loft window, each constructed of white sandstone, and four recessed triangular- shaped recessed panels above. A later (mid-19th century) brick-built segmental-headed doorway in the centre of the southern gable at ground floor level now provides access into the building. Within the building, lining the walls, are the former brick-built nest boxes, many of which have been bricked up. A timber floor supported on two wooden beams has also been inserted at a later date. There is now no direct access to the loft, the former hatch having been boarded up. The building is now used as a byre. The feed mangers attached to the walls are excluded from the scheduling.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 33828

Legacy System: RSM

End of official listing