Moated site and fishpond immediately north east of All Saints' Church


Heritage Category:
Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:


Ordnance survey map of Moated site and fishpond immediately north east of All Saints' Church
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1019808 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Oct-2019 at 21:32:26.


The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

St. Edmundsbury (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TL 71220 48732

Reasons for Designation

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The moated site immediately north east of All Saints' Church survives well. The island is largely undisturbed by post-medieval and modern activity and will retain buried evidence for structures and other features relating to former periods of occupation. The buried silts in the base of the moat will contain artefacts relating to the period of occupation, and organic materials, including evidence for the local environment in the past, are also likely to be preserved in waterlogged deposits in the moat. The location of the moat indicates the high probability that it is the site of a medieval rectory, and the evidence of the adjacent dovehouse, a feature generally associated with high status residences, adds to the interest of the monument. The pond to the north west of the moat is thought to have been associated with the moat and perhaps conserved a stock of fish. Comparative studies between this site and other examples, both locally and more widely, will provide valuable insights into the development of the nature of settlement in medieval England.


The monument includes a medieval moated site immediately north east of All Saints' Church and west of the Old Rectory. The moated site includes a roughly rectangular island which measures up to 26m north to south by 32m east to west. This is enclosed on the north, west and part of the south sides by a seasonally waterfilled moat, measuring up to 8m wide and at least 1.5m in depth. The east sides and the eastern end of the south side have been infilled but will survive as buried features. A rectangular fishpond, shown on the enclosure map of 1852 and measuring a maximum of 9m long by 4m wide, is situated approximately 7m to the north west of the moated site and is believed to have originally been connected to it. The 19th century house to the east of the moated site is the successor to a house on the moat island. There is a tradition that the moated site was the site of the Old Rectory. It is recorded as `Hill Piece' on both the 1849 tithe map of Barnardiston and the 1852 enclosure map, which shows it with four waterfilled arms and a causeway across the east arm. A field to the south east is marked as `Dovehouse field' on both maps, suggesting that the moated site originally supported a house with which the dovehouse was associated. The wooden fencing around parts of the moat, the wall to the east of the moat and all modern man-made surfaces are excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath these features is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Title: Barnardiston Enclosure map and Award Source Date: 1852 Author: Publisher: Surveyor: SRO(Bury): E8/1/8
Title: Tithe Map and Apportionment of Barnardiston parish Source Date: 1849 Author: Publisher: Surveyor: SRO(Bury): T38/1,2


This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].