Three moated sites at The Hyde and Lower Hyde
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1019854.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 31-Mar-2020 at 09:33:38.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SO 45384 55150, SO 45642 55211
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
The three moated sites at The Hyde and Lower Hyde survive as well-preserved examples of medieval moats, located in close proximity to each other. The islands will be expected to preserve evidence of former structures, including both domestic and ancillary buildings and their associated occupation levels. These remains will illustrate the nature of the site's use, the lifestyle of its inhabitants and will facilitate dating of their construction and subsequent periods of use. The moats are expected to preserve earlier deposits including evidence of their construction and any alterations during their active history. The waterlogged nature of the sites will preserve environmental information such as pollen and seeds which will provide evidence for the ecosystem and landscape in which they were set. In particular, the relationship of the three moated sites is of interest and will provide the opportunity to study changing medieval settlement patterns in the area.
The monument includes the buried and earthwork remains of three moated sites
and a cider mill, within two areas of protection at The Hyde and Lower Hyde.
The sites are located on generally level land.
The first area includes the buried and earthwork remains of the moated site at
The Hyde, which is a Listed Building Grade II but is itself not included in
the scheduling. A hollow way, which probably served as the original access to
the site, runs parallel to the modern road. The moated site includes a moat
defining the island which measured approximately 50m by 30m. The northern and
eastern arms survive as water-filled features measuring up to 8m wide by 1m
deep. The eastern arm survives for approximately 40m, beyond which it is
visible as a shallow depression of up to 6m wide by 1m deep. This depression
returns westward along the line of the southern arm for approximately 10m. The
remainder of the southern arm has been infilled but will survive as a buried
feature. The moat is fed by a stream which enters in the north west and exits
in the south east. Protected within the second area are the buried and
earthwork remains of a rectangular moat, a round moat and a cider mill,
located 300m east of The Hyde, at Lower Hyde.
The rectangular moat is situated in the south western part of the area and
comprises an island surrounded by a moat. The island, which is uneven,
measures approximately 35m by 40m. No trace of the original access, which is
likely to have been by bridge, is visible. The moat survives to a depth of up
to 3m and is up to 12m wide. It is water-filled in the northern and southern
arms, and is waterlogged in the western arm. The eastern end of the northern
arm widens to approximately 20m by 20m forming a small pond. The eastern arm
has been largely infilled but is visible as a slight depression, and will
survive as a buried feature.
Immediately adjacent to and connected with the north east corner of the
rectangular moat is the round moat. It is sub-circular in form and encloses a
low, circular island of up to 15m diameter and up to 1.5m high. The moat
measures up to 3m deep and 30m wide and is waterlogged. The moat is less
distinct to the south of the island.
Located midway between the two moated sites are the remains of a cider mill
consisting of the circular stone base trough in which the wheel would have
run. This trough measures approximately 3m in diameter by approximately 0.5m
All modern fencing, walling, made up surfaces and garden fixtures are excluded
from the scheduling, although the ground beneath them is included.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
RCHM, Herefordshire, RCHM, RCHM, Herefordshire, (1934)
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing