Dovecote 220m north of St Philip and St James's Church

Overview

Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument

List Entry Number: 1019896

Date first listed: 11-Nov-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 20-Jul-2001

Map

Ordnance survey map of Dovecote 220m north of St Philip and St James's Church
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1019896 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2018 at 03:21:22.

Location

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Mendip (District Authority)

Parish: Norton St. Philip

National Grid Reference: ST 77130 55926

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Dovecotes are specialised structures designed for the breeding and keeping of doves as a source of food and as a symbol of high social status. Most surviving examples were built in the period between the 14th and the 17th centuries, although both earlier and later examples are documented. They were generally freestanding structures, square or circular in plan and normally of brick or stone, with nesting boxes built into the internal wall. They were frequently sited at manor houses or monasteries. Whilst a relatively common monument class (1500 examples are estimated to survive out of an original population of c.25,000), most will be considered to be of national interest, although the majority will be listed rather than scheduled. They are also generally regarded as an important component of local distinctiveness and character.

The dovecote 220m north of St Philip and St James's Church is a good example of a medieval dovecote of the less common rectangular type, with both its original interior and exterior features well preserved. The dovecote is just one of a number of buildings which were originally part of a medieval grange complex which lie in an area which has seen only limited disturbance. It is visited regularly and is sometimes opened to the public during local fund- raising events.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a medieval dovecote located in the rear garden of Pond Barton on the west side of The Barton lane. The dovecote, which is a Listed Building Grade II*, is constructed of random rubble Doulting stone with ashlar quoins and coved eaves. It is single-storied and rectangular in plan with a stone tiled roof with coping at the gables and moulded kneelers. There are two doors; the southern one has a four-centered chamfered arch stone doorway and the northern has a plain wooden lintel. A single light four-centered moulded arch window opening is located high in the gable at the east end. Inside, the dovecote the roof is supported by two `A'-shaped frame trusses, a single horizontal beam or purlin and ashlared rafters. Nesting boxes are on all four walls and arranged in three tiers. There are believed to be approximately 660 boxes in total. The dovecote was originally part of a medieval grange which belonged to Hinton Priory, established after 1232 in Norton St Philip. The grange later became Manor Farm, parts of which still survive.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 33721

Legacy System: RSM

Sources

Books and journals
Hansell, P, J, , Dovers and Dovecotes, (1988), 106,112

End of official listing