Guide post at Place Cross

Overview

Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument

List Entry Number: 1020069

Date first listed: 19-Nov-1965

Date of most recent amendment: 09-Apr-2001

Map

Ordnance survey map of Guide post at Place Cross
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1020069 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 08:37:33.

Location

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: West Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Okehampton Hamlets

National Grid Reference: SX 56445 94538

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Guide posts are upright markers erected along routeways to indicate, at their most basic, the course of a route, and sometimes further useful information such as destinations and distances. The idea can be traced back to Roman milestones erected by the Roman army in the first centuries AD. During the medieval period, responsibility for way-marking largely fell to the Church, whose marks frequently took the form of crosses, conveniently asserting the Christian faith at the same time as marking the route. This system collapsed with the Reformation, though substantial numbers of crosses still survive in some areas despite deliberate destruction of many route marking crosses. The Turnpike Acts, which enabled tolls to be levied on road users during the 18th century, revolutionised highway maintenance and made provision for guide posts and milestones. A substantial number of turnpike stone guide posts still survive, and as with the contemporary milestones, they are often of a distinctive style peculiar to one Turnpike Trust or to part of a Trust's length of road. Between 1888 and 1930, highways maintenance, including signposting, passed to County and District Councils, with national government taking responsibility for trunk roads in 1936. The locations, style and level of standardisation of guide posts provide very tangible indicators of post- medieval development of the road system; those erected during the 17th and 18th centuries formed an essential stimulus to the growth of the nation's internal trade which provided the setting for the Industrial Revolution.

The guide post at Place Cross survives comparatively well, with clearly defined inscribed writing, and a date of 1704 which neatly sets its place at a time when the road systems were becoming more formalised within England.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This monument includes a guide post situated on the eastern side of a busy road junction at the fork between two roads, the Narratons Road and the Holsworthy Road at the junction known as Place Cross. The monument survives as an upright granite stone, leaning at a rather sharp angle, which measures 0.25m wide by 0.2m deep at the base and tapers slightly upwards to a height of 0.7m. The stone is inscribed on two faces: HATH/ERLY/1704/S M/GL OKE/AMP/TON/1704.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 34278

Legacy System: RSM

Sources

Other
Devon County Sites and Monuments Register, SX59SE8, (1997)

End of official listing