This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Moated site immediately south east of New House Farm

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Moated site immediately south east of New House Farm

List entry Number: 1020190

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Babergh

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Lawshall

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 09-May-2001

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 33315

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The moated site immediately south east of New House Farm survives well. The island remains largely undisturbed by post-medieval and modern activity and will retain buried evidence for structures and other features relating to the development and character of the site throughout the periods of occupation. Evidence for earlier land use is likely to be preserved in buried soils beneath the island. In addition, the buried silts in the base of the moat will contain artefacts relating to the period of occupation, and organic deposits including evidence for the local environment in the past, are also likely to be preserved in waterlogged deposits in the moat. Comparisons between this site and other examples, both locally and more widely, will provide valuable insights into the developments in the nature of settlement in medieval England.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a medieval moated site immediately south east of New House Farm, located about 850m SSE of Lawshall village centre, close to the parish boundary. The moated site includes a roughly rectangular island which measures up to 44m north to south by 40m east to west and is slightly raised above the surrounding ground surface. This is enclosed by a waterfilled moat, measuring up to 8m wide. Access to the island is across the south west corner which was infilled prior to 1842. In this area, the moat will survive as a buried feature. The 17 to 18th century farmhouse, which is a Listed Building Grade II standing approximately 80m to the north west of the moat, is thought to represent the successor to an earlier house on the island. The brick and concrete foundation for a small agricultural building and the animal shelter on the island, together with the gate and all fencing, the sheds and old barn along the north edge of the moat and the surface of the trackway along the west side of the moat, are excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath all these features all is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Other
Title: Tithe Map of Lawshall Source Date: 1842 Author: Publisher: Surveyor: SRO(Bury): T331/2

National Grid Reference: TL 86820 53456

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1020190 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jul-2018 at 04:45:44.

End of official listing