Medieval boundary marker at Saddlebole, 180m west of Findlow Farm
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1020193 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2019 at 06:57:40.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Cheshire East (Unitary Authority)
- Alderley Edge
- National Grid Reference:
- SJ 86024 78089
Reasons for Designation
The medieval boundary bank together with the stone boundary marker form an important association which has been recorded in a late medieval perambulation document dating to 1598. An excavation in 1997 has also demonstrated that the bank was revetted with timber at this point and this constitutes a rare addition to our knowledge of parish and estate boundaries of this period. The site of the monument is visited by many people who come to The National Trust woodlands at Alderley Edge and so the stone and bank provide both recreational and educational interest for the public.
The monument includes a late medieval, stone boundary marker at Saddlebole on
Alderley Edge. Locally these boundary markers are referred to as `merestones'.
It is located close to the crest of a bank which forms the boundary between
the former medieval parishes of Chorley and Over Alderley and was also the
boundary between the estates of the Stanley family and the De Traffords. The
merestone is noted in the May 1598 perambulation of the boundaries on Alderley
The merestone has fallen from its original position and a small archaeological
excavation by the Manchester Museum and The National Trust survey team in 1997
has located its original position on the crest of the bank about 0.70m to the
west. The stone is a rectangular block of Engine Vein conglomerate and
measures 1.20m by 0.75m and is 0.55m high above ground level. There is a
deep cut cross in the top of the stone, about 0.30m across the arms. The
excavation also established that the bank was built of earth or turf with
large stones and was revetted with timber for about 5m on either side of the
merestone with the socket for the stone in the middle of the revetted section.
The base of the bank is about 4m across and there was a shallow ditch to
provide material for the bank on either side. The bank stands 0.70m high at
this point. This revetted section is included in the scheduling, forming an
area of protection of 10m by 8m.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Manchester Museum and National Trust Survey 1998
Manchester Museum and National Trust Survey,
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing