The Great Merestone medieval boundary marker on Finlow Hill, 245m east of Mottram House
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1020194 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 04:37:31.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Cheshire East (Unitary Authority)
- Over Alderley
- National Grid Reference:
- SJ 86135 76774
Reasons for Designation
The Great Merestone medieval boundary marker on Finlow Hill, 245m east of Mottram House, appears on a description of the parish and estate boundaries of the area of Alderley Edge dated 1598. The stone is known locally as the `Great Merestone' and has attracted much attention as a semi-sacred object. Together with two other markers on the Edge they constitute an uncommon survival of medieval boundaries and provide important evidence of the extent of the medieval parochial and estate landholdings. Although the site is not open to the public, the stone is visible from the road from Finlow Hill Lane to Bradford Lodge, and so the monument provides an educational resource for the numerous visitors to this area.
The monument includes a large boulder, half buried in a field on Finlow Hill.
It lies on the former medieval boundary between the parishes of Nether
Alderley and Over Alderley, but later agricultural work has removed the bank
on which it must have stood. This stone is referred to locally as the `Great
Merestone' and is one of a number mentioned in a description of a
perambulation of the parish and estate boundaries of May 1598.
The stone is a roughly squared boulder about 1.30m in diameter and made of a
fine-grained sandstone, possibly a glacial erratic. It stands 0.40m above the
present ground level. On the top surface is a damaged carved cross with the
arms about 0.30m across.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Manchester Museum and National Trust Survey, (1998)
Norbury, Mrs , 2000,
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing