This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Moated site 430m south west of Bradenham Hall

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Moated site 430m south west of Bradenham Hall

List entry Number: 1020645

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: Breckland

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Bradenham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 03-Sep-2002

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 35060

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The moated site 430m south west of Bradenham Hall survives well as a series of earthwork and buried deposits. The buried remains will include archaeological information concerning the construction of the moat, the layout and construction of buildings which stood on the island and activities relating to its occupation. Evidence for earlier land use is also likely to be preserved in soils buried beneath the raised platform. A local tradition that there was a Norman tower on the site gives added interest.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a medieval moated site located 430m south west of Bradenham Hall. The moat is one of ten recorded in the parish of Bradenham. In 1086, land in Bradenham was in the possession of William of Warenne and Ralph of Tosny. William of Warenne's land passed to the Kaillis, or Caleys, and in the 14th century it was held by the de Cliftons. By the 15th century, the land had passed to the Knevets of Buckenham Castle. The land held by de Tosny was, by the 13th century, in the hands of William de Bradenham, but was later united with the lands originally held by William of Warenne.

The moated platform, or island, is roughly D-shaped in plan, measuring approximately 62m north-south by 60m. The east, north and west arms of the moat are fairly straight, with a curving southern arm. The platform is raised up to 0.5m above the surrounding ground level. Two areas, at the north east corner and at the eastern side, are raised up to 0.5m above the general level of the platform and are thought to mark the site of buildings. A roughly circular hollow lies at the southern edge of the raised area located at the north east corner of the platform. The hollow measures approximately 4m in diameter and up to 0.75m deep and probably marks the location of a former pond.

The moat enclosing the platform measures between 6m and 8m in width and is open to a depth of 1.5m. The moat, now dry, is steep sided with a flat base. The north arm of the moat is crossed by a modern earthen causeway, about 3m wide, which may perpetuate the position of an earlier access point.



MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Blomefield, F, History of the County of Norfolk: Volume VI, (1984)
Brown, P (ed), Doomsday Book: Norfolk, (1984)
Other
NMR, 358529, (2001)
Norfolk SMR, NF8717, (2001)
Norfolk SMR, NF8719, (2001)
Title: West Bradenham Tithe Map and Apportionment, DN/TA 65 Source Date: 1838 Author: Publisher: Surveyor:

National Grid Reference: TF 91702 09725

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1020645 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2017 at 10:56:29.

End of official listing