This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

The Mount moated site

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: The Mount moated site

List entry Number: 1020655

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Haresfield

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 21-Oct-1968

Date of most recent amendment: 03-Sep-2002

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 32365

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The Mount moated site survives well and is unencumbered by later buildings. Buried deposits on the island are likely to include the remains of medieval structures, and will contain archaeological information relating to the construction and subsequent occupation and use of the moated site. Within the moat, waterlogged deposits will have preserved archaeological remains relating to the occupation and use of the site, along with organic material which will provide information about the economy of the site and the local environment during the medieval period. The moated site lies close to the village church of St Peter's and the large number of footpaths converging on this area suggests the importance of the monument in the medieval period.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a moated site, known as The Mount, set on low-lying ground in the Severn Vale. It is visible as a square moat enclosing an island measuring 50m by 48m and orientated north east-south west. The moat varies from approximately 10m to 16m wide and 3m to 4m deep to the surface of the water. The surface of the island is raised about 1.5m above the level of the ground outside the moat and a building platform, about 36m square and 0.5m high, is visible on the island. Between the platform and the inside edge of the moat on all four sides is a slight ditch and bank which is included in the scheduling. The moat narrows slightly in the north west corner. The south west corner of the moated site is abutted by the gateway into the churchyard and may have been the original access to the moat island. The Mount is believed to have been the site of the manor house of the manor of Haresfield, held after the Norman Conquest by Durand, sheriff of Gloucester, and later by the de Bohun family. Although it is not known precisely when The Mount was constructed, a house called `The Mount' was assessed at eight hearths in 1672 and in 1680 was described as `adjoining the great old stone house and shooting towards the moat'. A number of features are excluded from the scheduling; these are the ruins of a small stone building on the north west corner of the island, the wooden footbridge across the north west corner of the moat, all wooden gates, the metal fence to the south and east of the moat and the metal kissing gate at the south east corner; the ground beneath all these features is, however, included. The wooden three-bar fences on the east and west sides of the monument which lie beyond the area of protection are not included in the scheduling.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Herbert, N M, The Victoria History of the County of Gloucestershire - Westbury and Whitstone Hundreds, (1972), 190-191
Spry, N P, Price, E G, 'Glevensis' in The Mount, Haresfield, , Vol. 14, (1980), 29

National Grid Reference: SO 81020 10501

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1020655 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2017 at 10:20:40.

End of official listing