This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

All Saints Church and graveyard, 150m south of Annesley Hall Lodge

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: All Saints Church and graveyard, 150m south of Annesley Hall Lodge

List entry Number: 1020778

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Ashfield

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Annesley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 13-Oct-1977

Date of most recent amendment: 16-Oct-2002

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 29999

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

A parish church is a building, usually of roughly rectangular outline and containing a range of furnishings and fittings appropriate to its use for Christian worship by a secular community, whose members gather in it on Sundays and on the occasion of religious festivals. Children are initiated into the Christian religion at the church's font and the dead are buried in its churchyard. Parish churches were designed for congregational worship and are generally divided into two main parts: the nave, which provides accommodation for the laity, and the chancel, which is the main domain of the priest and contains the principal altar. Either or both parts are sometimes provided with aisles, giving additional accommodation or spaces for additional altars. Most parish churches also possess towers, generally at the west end, but central towers at the crossing of nave and chancel are not uncommon and some churches have a free-standing or irregularly sited tower. Many parish churches also possess transepts at the crossing of chancel and nave, and south or north porches are also common. The main periods of parish church foundation were in the 10th to 11th and 19th centuries. Most medieval churches were rebuilt and modified on a number of occasions and hence the visible fabric of the church will be of several different dates, with in some cases little fabric of the first church being still easily visible. Parish churches are found throughout England. Their distribution reflects the density of population at the time they were founded. In regions of dispersed settlement parishes were often large and churches less numerous. The densest clusters of parish churches were found in thriving medieval towns. A survey of 1625 reported the existence of nearly 9000 parish churches in England. New churches built in the 18th, 19th and 20th centuries increased numbers to around 18,000 of which 17,000 remain in ecclesiastical use. Parish churches have always been major features of the landscape and a major focus of life for their parishioners. They provide important insights into medieval and later population levels or economic cycles, religious activity, artistic endeavour and technical achievement. A significant number of surviving examples are identified to be nationally important.

The standing and buried remains of the medieval church at Annesley are reasonably well-preserved and retain important archaeological deposits and architectural features. The deposits will include information about the structure, the architectural style, the ritual use and the status of the church. The history of the site plays an important part in the understanding of the medieval and subsequent settlement of the area and the changing social and economic status of Annesley.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes the standing and buried remains of Annesley medieval church and graveyard. The church is a Listed Building Grade I and is surrounded by the graveyard. The monument is situated on raised ground overlooking Annesley Park to the south. The church dates from the 13th century but was deserted in 1874 when a new church was erected to serve the modern colliery village of Annesley approximately 1.5km to the north east. The church measures approximately 35m by 14.5m, is built in stone and survives as a roofless ruin with both standing and buried remains. The standing remains include the west tower, nave, chancel and a large 14th century chapel to the south. The surrounding graveyard contains a variety of mainly 17th and 18th century grave markers. The west tower is built of larger masonry than the rest of the church and displays the remains of a parapet and coved eaves. There is a canted stair turret in the north west corner of the tower. Along the north wall of the nave are two large buttresses and the remains of three windows. Traces of wall plaster are still evident on the north and west walls. The chancel, at the eastern end of the church, has incomplete window openings in the north and east walls with a central, late 14th century doorway flanked with the remains of square headed double lancet windows in the south wall. There is little to distinguish the period of construction in this part of the church but there are at least three phases of blocking and window openings in the north wall and the tower. The chapel, known as the Folley or Felley chapel, was built in 1363 by William de Wakefield and Robert de Annesley. In the east wall was once a fine, five-light, ogee reticulated window. This no longer survives but the chapel does contain sedilia with shaped shafts and pointed trefoil heads, features that date to before 1300. The chapel has a central buttress and two pairs of gabled corner buttresses. At the west end of the south wall there is a chamfered 13th century doorway with the remains of three mid- 14th century double lancet windows to the east. Incomplete window openings are evident at both the east and west ends of the chapel. Areas of the paved floor are visible on the surface although the majority is now covered in grass and scrub growth. All modern fences, walls and path surfaces are excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath these is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Nottinghamshire, (1979), 55-56
Baylay, A M, 'Transactions of the Thoroton Society' in Annesley old church, , Vol. 16, (1912), 1-6

National Grid Reference: SK 50356 52373

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1020778 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2017 at 03:30:53.

End of official listing