Old Hall moated site 100m north west of Almshouse Bungalow


Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument

List Entry Number: 1020791

Date first listed: 16-Oct-2002


Ordnance survey map of Old Hall moated site 100m north west of Almshouse Bungalow
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1020791 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 01:46:44.


The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: Breckland (District Authority)

Parish: Longham

National Grid Reference: TF 93026 15703


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

Old Hall moated site 100m north west of Almshouse Bungalow survives well as a series of earthwork and buried deposits and the evidence of the early post-medieval map gives the monument additional interest. The buried remains will include archaeological information concerning the construction of the moat, the layout and construction of the building which stood on the island and activities relating to its occupation. Waterlogged deposits in the moat and ponds will preserve organic remains (such as timber, leather and seeds) which will give an insight into the domestic and economic activity on the site and the local environment in the past. Evidence for earlier land use is also likely to be preserved in soils buried beneath the artificially raised platform.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


The monument includes a medieval moated site, known as Old Hall and identified as the former site of Longham Manor House, located at the northern edge of a former Green known as South Hall Green or Longham Green. In 1086 Longham was part of the manor of Mileham and by the 13th century land holdings in Longham included those of the L'Estrange, le Denys and de Skerning families. In the 16th century interests in Longham were united under Sir Edward Coke and descended in the Coke family, later earls of Leicester. The moated island is sub-rectangular in plan, with dimensions of approximately 50m east-west by 43m, and is slightly raised above the surrounding ground level. It is surrounded on the south and east sides and around the north east and south west corners by a moat which is partly water-filled, open to a depth of 1m and measures up to 10m in width. The moat has been enlarged externally at the south east corner, where it expands to about 14m in width. The north west corner has been infilled but will survive as a buried feature. The moated site is depicted on a late 16th century map, which shows the moat in its entirety, with what appears to be a bridge across the eastern arm, and the hall, aligned east-west, in the northern half of the central platform. Adjoining the east side of the moat there was an outer enclosure containing a number of ancillary buildings, such as barns and stables, a small circular structure which was probably a dovecote in the south east corner, and a pond. A new hall was built by Thomas William Coke near the church, approximately 600m to the north, in the early part of the 19th century. The remains of a brick and breeze block building stand near the centre of the island, which is said to have remained in occupation into the 20th century. All standing building remains and fence posts are excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath them is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 35068

Legacy System: RSM


Books and journals
Blomefield, F, Essay Towards a Topographical History of Norfolk Volume 10, (1809)
Wade-Martins, P, 'East Anglian Archaeology' in Village sites in Launditch hundred, Norfolk, , Vol. 10, (1980)
Title: Longham Tithe Map and Apportionment, DN/TA 142 Source Date: 1838 Author: Publisher: Surveyor:

End of official listing