This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Moated site in Moyne's Wood

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Moated site in Moyne's Wood

List entry Number: 1020921

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Abington Pigotts

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 28-Jan-2003

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 33598

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The moated site in Moyne's Wood is a well-preserved and largely undisturbed example of a double island moat. The islands will retain buried archaeological deposits, including structural remains and artefacts, relating to the former manor house and associated buildings. These will provide valuable information concerning the period of use and the status and lifestyles of the occupants. The moat will retain further artefacts together with waterlogged organic and environmental deposits which provide dietary information amd may illustrate the nature of the landscape in which the monument was set.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a medieval moated site situated in Moyne's Wood, 450m south east of Flecks Lane Farm.

The moat defines a sub-rectangular area measuring about 70m north east to south west by 40m north west to south east, with a cross ditch dividing the interior. The substantial moat is seasonally wet except to the south east where it has been partly infilled. No original causeway is apparent, that to the south east being modern. The south western arm of the moat extends to the north west for about 60m until it joins the modern drainage system linked to the Running Ditch to the west. It is thought that the moat was originally filled from this north western extension, probably with a leat (channel) at the eastern corner of the moat serving as an overflow drain.

The two islands formed by the cross ditch are nearly equal in size. The north eastern island is slightly larger and more regular in shape and its surface is raised by approximately 0.6m. The south western island is also slightly raised. It is thought that the northern island was the site of the manor house whilst ancillary buildings such as stables and stores would have been located on the southern island. The buried remains of these structures are thought to survive.

The site is associated with the manor of Moynes which takes its name from the le Moyne family who held the manor from the mid-13th century until 1315 when Thomas le Moyne disposed of it to `a stranger'. The newcomer, ill disposed towards his neighbours, was eventually killed. By 1346 the manor was again in the hands of the le Moynes but passed to John Pigot, a London merchant, in about 1465.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Philips, C W, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire, (1948)
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1982)

National Grid Reference: TL 29925 45468

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1020921 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2017 at 04:53:06.

End of official listing