This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Hoffman Kiln between Aizlewood Road and Cutts Terrace

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Hoffman Kiln between Aizlewood Road and Cutts Terrace

List entry Number: 1021089

Location

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Sheffield

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 11-Aug-2003

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 35609

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

The Hoffman kiln between Aizlewood Road and Cutts Terrace is a particularly well-preserved example. Above ground it retains important structural remains with architectural detail which contributes significantly to the understanding of the physical development and workings of the kiln. Below ground important archaeological deposits will provide information relating to the use and technological development of the kiln. Taken as a whole this information will add to our understanding of the brick industry and its place within the wider industrial landscape.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes the standing and buried remains of a Hoffman Kiln, situated in an industrial estate on Aizlewood Road, Sheffield.

In the 19th century production of bricks was limited by the time taken to load, fire and unload the kilns that were then in use. These were known as intermittent kilns which were fired individually as and when they were required. The process was uneconomical as much of the fuel was consumed in bringing the kiln up to firing heat. A technical breakthrough came with the invention of the continuous kiln of which the first successful example was built by the Austrian Fredrich Hoffman in 1857 and patented in 1858.

A Hoffman kiln is divided into bays which are loaded and fired in sequence so that the fire burns continuously and efficiently, the flue gases being directed into the required bay and for the required amount of time. The green clay would be wheeled in on wooden barrows into the kiln bay, the moulds would be stacked up and the access sealed for a week or so. The hot flue gases would then be admitted for the required length of time.

The kiln on Aizlewood Road was built by the Sheffield Patent Brick Company in 1879. It is rectangular in plan with rounded ends and is characteristic of a design developed by Hoffman himself in 1870. The building is built of brick and measures approximately 51m by 20m. It survives to roof height although the chimney has been removed to accommodate the factory unit which now sits above it. Externally it is clear that there were a number of arched openings most of which are now blocked. Two of the openings have been recut to provide modern access to the building. Internally small arched openings representing bays are also evident at various points around the kiln walls. The smoke flues, chamber flues, dampers and the chimney are arranged in a linear pattern running north west to south east down the centre of the building. The flue gases would have been directed from this area to the relevant bay and the smoke expelled via the chimney. The kilns firing chamber is basically `0'-shaped in plan with the central flue system running down its centre. The electricity generator for the factory unit above is housed in one of the central flue chambers.

The corrugated metal built factory unit above the kiln, the attached metal stair cases which provide access to the first floor, the modern ventilation flues attached to and penetrating the kiln and the adjoining metal and breeze block storage units and tanks along the south western side of the monument are excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath all these features is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Hague, G, 'The Yorkshire Architect' in The Brick Making Industry In Sheffield, , Vol. Jul/Aug, (1981), 38-39

National Grid Reference: SK 34922 85030

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1021089 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2017 at 06:40:33.

End of official listing