This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Stony Bridge, Titchfield

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Stony Bridge, Titchfield

List entry Number: 1021110


The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hampshire

District: Fareham

District Type: District Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 19-Mar-1930

Date of most recent amendment: 06-Oct-2003

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 33404

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Multi-span bridges are structures of two or more arches supported on piers. They were constructed throughout the medieval period for the use of pedestrians and packhorse or vehicular traffic, crossing rivers or streams, often replacing or supplementing earlier fords. During the early medieval period timber was used, but from the 12th century stone (and later brick) bridges became more common, with the piers sometimes supported by a timber raft. Most stone or brick bridges were constructed with pointed arches, although semicircular and segmental examples are also known. A common medieval feature is the presence of stone ashlar ribs underneath the arch. The bridge abutments and revetting of the river banks also form part of the bridge. Where medieval bridges have been altered in later centuries, original features are sometimes concealed behind later stonework, including remains of earlier timber bridges. The roadway was often originally cobbled or gravelled. The building and maintenance of bridges was frequently carried out by the church and by guilds, although landowners were also required to maintain bridges. From the mid-13th century the right to collect tolls, known as pontage, was granted to many bridges, usually for repairs; for this purpose many urban bridges had houses or chapels on them, and some were fortified with a defensive gateway. Medieval multi-span bridges must have been numerous throughout England, but most have been rebuilt or replaced and less than 200 examples are now known to survive. As a rare monument type largely unaltered, surviving examples and examples that retain significant medieval and post- medieval fabric are considered to be of national importance.

Stony Bridge, Titchfield is well-preserved, despite saddling at an unknown date, and its remains will provide evidence of its two main construction phases during the 14th and 17th centuries. Its significance is further enhanced by its association with Titchfield Abbey, and the later Place House, providing an insight into the spatial organization of the area in the medieval and post-medieval periods. Deposits preserved underneath the bridge and its abutments will contain valuable artefactual and environmental evidence, shedding light on the human and natural history of the site prior to construction.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


The monument includes Stony Bridge, just to the north of Titchfield, a stone bridge largely post-medieval in date but with medieval fabric, spanning the River Meon along the road to Catisfield. It is Listed Grade II and is also known as the Anjou Bridge, as it is associated in local tradition with the marriage of Henry VI and Margaret of Anjou in 1445. Stony Bridge is situated about 100m east of the entrance to the former Premonstratensian Abbey of St Mary and St John, and replaces a bridge built by the monks during the 14th century, which was probably made of stone piers and a wooden parapet. The antiquary, John Leland reports that the bridge was made of wood when he crossed it in 1542. Stony Bridge was rebuilt in stone during the 17th century under Henry, the 3rd Earl of Southampton, whose grandfather had acquired the Abbey, from then on known as Place House, after the Dissolution of the Monasteries. Henry commissioned a survey of the estate, on which he had undertaken major works, and the 1610 map produced as a result shows `Stoney Bridge'. Local knowledge suggests that the date `1625' was inscribed on the bridge, but this is no longer visible. Stony Bridge is made of roughly coursed stone and comprises two arches, each with a 2.7m span. The western arch is segmental in shape, while the eastern is slightly pointed. The coped parapet is slightly humped and above the cutwater on the upstream (north) side is a small refuge for pedestrians. The space in between the parapets is about 3.5m and at the end of the parapets are stone buttresses. At the western and eastern terminals, the area of protection includes a 3m margin to protect the remains of the contemporary road surface, where this survives beneath the modern road. Excluded from the scheduling are modern lamp and sign posts, as well as the modern tarmac surfacing of the carriageway across the bridge and the parapets above the level of the road surface, although the bridge fabric below them is included.

MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 54364 06605


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1021110 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2018 at 03:16:03.

End of official listing