This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

List entry Number: 1021792

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, THE KNAP

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wiltshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Hilperton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 13-Nov-1962

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 314471

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

St 85 NE HILPERTON THE KNAP (east side)

7/23 Church of St Michael and All Angels

13-11-62

GV II

Anglican parish church. C15, rebuilt 1852 by T.H. Wyatt in C14 style. Rubble stone, Welsh slate roof with coped verges. Plan: West tower, nave with south porch, chancel with north vestry and organ chamber. Gabled C19 porch with segmental pointed doorway with hoodmould, coped verge with cross finial. Nave has one 2- light segmental pointed window to left and gabled dormer with 2- light pointed window over, three 2-light pointed windows to right of porch, corbelled eaves. Chancel has two 2-light pointed windows with hoodmoulds to south side, 3-light window with reticulated tracery to east, angle buttresses, vestry has 2-light pointed east window, 1892 consecration cross, north side has Tudor- arched doorway and 2-light window, lean-to attached to east side has 5-light ovolo-mullioned casement, cusped lancet over, stack with panelled sides. North side of nave has three 2-light pointed windows and one 2-light segmental-headed window, three reset memorial tablets, probably from chest tombs, one incorporating a bronze panel - to Betty Daniel died 1770. Three-stage tower has diagonal buttresses, west doorway with rounded corners and cusp, planked door with strap hinges, 3-light restored pointed Perpendicular window over string course, lancet on south side. Second stage has lancet to north, circular clock face to south. Upper part of bellstage has ogee-headed deep chamfered lancets, circular clockface on west side. Octagonal broach spire. Polygonal C19 stair turret with chamfered arrowloops on north side. Interior: Porch has scissor-rafter roof, C19 moulded pointed doorway. Nave has 5-bay roof; deep arch-braced collar trusses on foliated corbels, double chamfered segmental-pointed tower arch with 1890s wooden screen. C19 double chamfered chancel arch with wrought iron screen. Chancel has panelled roof with painted ribs and panels, two moulded pointed arches through to vestry and organ chamber with wooden screen. C19 wooden reredos, piscina on south east windowsill. C19 polygonal wooden pulpit with octagonal tester, given by John Kemp 1894. C19 seating. Royal arms of George III, 1771 over south doorway. C12 cylindrical stone font with fine carved arcading, reset on C19 base. 1890s Flemish or German stained glass in north west nave and south east chancel windows. South east window of nave to Rush family, by Ward and Hughes 1894. 1920s south west nave glass to John Kemp. East window to Gouldsmith family. Monuments include brass on nave bench end to John Fido, rector died 1723, black and white marble tablet with draped urn to Elizabeth Chapman died 1780. Medieval church door against west end of nave; a fine example with cross braces. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975)

Listing NGR: ST8709859234

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)

National Grid Reference: ST 87098 59234

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1021792 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2017 at 06:37:22.

End of official listing