Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of MANOR FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1021854 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2019 at 06:00:25.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
South Wraxall
National Grid Reference:



2/172 Manor Farmhouse



Reputedly a Benedictine hospice to St Audoen, now farmhouse. C14, altered C17 and late C20. Random rubble stone, stone slate roof with coped verges and saddle stones. T-plan, 4-bay hall to west of cross wing. Two-storey, 2-window east front has C20 door with 3- light ovolo-mullioned casement to left and 3-light C20 mullioned casement to right. First floor has blocked single light to left and two 3-light ovolo-mullioned casements to right. Right return has blocked openings and traces of removed wing. Left return has 3-light cyma-mullioned casement to ground and first floors, inserted into casement, partially blocked pointed C14 windows with hoodmould with scroll terminals, two bands of cusped trefoils or quatrefoils over, possibly reset tracery. Hall range to left has 4-panelled door in partly blocked painted window, hoodmould with mask terminals, buttress and planked door to left, C20 inserted mullioned casements. Left return of hall range has C20 buttresses and single casement, rear has C20 mullioned casements, one buttress, single-storey extension with C20 added first floor. Interior: altered C20, but hall range retains three arch-braced collar trusses with curved wind bracing to lower tier of purlins, chamfered soffits and heavy scantling; all smoke-blackened, principal centre truss said to be an upper cruck. East wall of hall has damaged remains of a tripartite arcade of cinquefoil cusped pointed arches on slender shafts with moulded capitals, triangular aedicules, heads of arches are above first floor level (now removed). It has been suggested that this may represent the reredos of a chapel altar, but it is more likely to be a reredos to the dais at upper end of hall. Solar altered and roof no longer visible, but said to have arch-braced collar rafter roof with collar purlin on three crown posts on tie-beams, chamfered soffits. Pointed window to gable end of solar and over door to hall both have cusped rere arches with triangular heads. Although this is reputedly a Benedictine hospice with chapel, no firm evidence exists for this and the building may represent the remains of a C14 manor house, replaced in C15 by the present Manor House (q.v.); no trace of the service end of the building survives and it is possible that they were in a separate building. (VCH, Wiltshire, Vol 7, 1953; WAM, Vol XIV)

Listing NGR: ST8344665605


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pugh, RB, Crittall, E, The Victoria History of the County of Wiltshire, (1953)
'Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Magazine' in Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Magazine, , Vol. 14, (1869)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Apr 2003
Reference: IOE01/09050/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Graham Hill. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].