This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST JAMES

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JAMES

List entry Number: 1021864

Location

CHURCH OF ST JAMES, UPPER WRAXALL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wiltshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: South Wraxall

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 13-Nov-1962

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 314643

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 86 SW SOUTH WRAXALL UPPER WRAXALL (east side)

4/197 Church of St James

13-11-62

GV II*

Anglican parish church. C14, C15, 1832 north aisle by H.E. Goodridge, 1882 restoration and chancel by Weaver and Adye. Random rubble stone, stone slate roof with coped verges and cross finials. Plan: West tower, nave with north aisle and south chapel and porch, chancel with north vestry. South porch incorporated into west end of south chapel; moulded pointed doorway with hoodmould with lozenge terminals, C17 square-headed doorway to right with hoodmould and relief-carved date 1666 and initials RL (Long family), square-headed 3-light Perpendicular window to right, chamfered light to west end and 3-light Perpendicular window to east, C18 memorial tablet on south wall. 1882 ashlar chancel has two 2-light Perpendicular style windows to south, diagonal buttresses and 3-light Perpendicular style window to east, large consecration cross below. North vestry has 2-light Perpendicular- style east window, angle buttresses, two Tudor-arched north doorways. North aisle has three 2-light Tudor-arched windows with hoodmoulds, gableted buttresses, moulded cornice to plain parapet. Three-stage west tower has short angle buttresses, 3-light C19 west window, blocked south doorway, offset bellstage with 2-light pointed windows on south and north with pierced stone louvres, steep saddle-back stone roof with short obelisk pinnacles and ball finials. Interior: Nave has 1880s six-bay collar-rafter roof with moulded arch braces and purlins with carved bosses, foliage carved frieze. Polychrome tiled floor, ashlar-lined walls. Early C14 continuously double chamfered tower arch. Four-bay 1880s north arcade with moulded pointed arches on moulded piers with attached shafts, aisle has rib-panelled roof. Wide moulded arch to Long chapel, restored piscina on north side of arch. Chapel contains cusped ogee piscina on south wall, crocketed image niches flanking east window, possibly C19, trefoiled squint through to chancel. Wide 1880s moulded chancel arch on attached shafts, open traceried low stone screen with wrought iron gates, incorporates polygonal traceried pulpit on north side. Chancel has polychrome tiled floor, 4-bay collar rafter with moulded purlins and arch-braces, carved vine frieze, moulded pointed arch to north organ chamber and pointed doorway to vestry, C19 cusped piscina on south wall, painted metal Commandment boards on east wall, late C19 seating throughout church, C19 brass and wood communion rail. West window has stained glass by O'Connor of London in memory of William, 5th Earl of Mornington. Octagonal stone C19 font in tower. Good C18 collection of monuments, including in the nave, large pilastered tablet to Sarah Newel died 1755; north aisle scrolled pedimented tablet to Stephen Bowyer died 1780 signed by Ranlings of Box; chancel has several C19 classical black and white marble tablets such as two by King of Bath, to Stephen Iles died 1816 and to James Finch died 1815, also in the chancel is moulded tablet with guilloches to William Jones died 1660. South chapel has imposing classical monument on west wall with grey marble Composite columns to modillioned pediment with cartouche, grey marble tomb with large urn and inscription to Thomas Long died 1759, against south wall of chapel is stone chest tomb with high-relief carved angel with flanking beasts with shields; on top is effigy of a lady, possibly C15, wall tablet to Henry Long died 1686 has floral carved pilasters to Doric entablature, C18 marble floor tablets to Long family. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975; The Architect, November 3rd, 1883)



Listing NGR: ST8326264782

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)
'The Architect' in 3 November, (1883)

National Grid Reference: ST 83262 64782

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1021864 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2017 at 09:17:12.

End of official listing