Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of TURLEIGH MANOR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1021905 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 15:36:08.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 80490 60747



4/301 Turleigh Manor



House, late C17 to early C18, ashlar, with hipped stone slate roof and two square corniced ashlar stacks. Two storeys and attic, square plan with formal matching early C18 style fronts to south and east and late C17 style front to west. South and east fronts have modillion cornice and parapet, cornice with heavy pulvinated frieze over ground floor and moulded plinth. Twelve-pane sashes in moulded architraves with moulded sills, the heads of the ground floor windows breaking into the base of the moulded cornice above. Seven-window south front with centre windows closely spaced and panelled double doors in open-pedimented bolection moulded surround with urn in pediment. East front has similar four-window range and two segmental-headed small-paned dormers. Some ground floor windows on both fronts have been lowered. West front is of squared rubble with moulded dripcourse and eaves cornice, the eaves cornice continuing the bottom moulding of the main cornice of south front. Five-window range of chamfered recessed 2-light mullion-and-transom windows and centre door in bolection surround. l½ storey kitchen attached at north west angle. North front is irregular but with cornice carried round. Two ground floor C17 ovolo-moulded 2-light mullion windows and a large tripartite stairlight. A stone-fronted flat dormer has recessed chamfered 2-light mullion window. Interior: altered in C20 but said to have fine twisted baluster staircase and panelled rooms. Part of the pre-Reformation Bradford parsonage lands held by the Dean and Chapter of Bristol 1542-1861. Recorded as held by Barnes family c1548-1615, by the Dicke family, clothiers, 1615-70, J. Curll, clothier 1670-1707, John Daw 1707-27, John Thresher, clothier, 1727 and by descent to Sir Bourchier Wrey c1760, and by Ann Atwood 1811. During most of the C18 the house was tenanted, from 1733-47 by J. Baskerville, clothier, and was described in 1747 as 'a very compleat well built house, with all necessary and convenient out-houses, dye-house, wool-lofts....'. From 1775 the tenant was Richard Atwood, of the noted Bath family of builders and architects. He is recorded as a close friend of the statesman Edmund Burke who is said to have visited. The Rev W. Romaine is said to have written his 'Walk and Triumph of Faith' here 1771. (Information R. and B. Harvey; R.E.M. Peach Rambles about Bath 1876 408; N. Pevsner Wiltshire 1975 540)

Listing NGR: ST8049060747


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Peach, R E M , Rambles about Bath, (1876)
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975), 540


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/02158/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Arthur A. Chapman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].