CORPUS CHRISTI AND SIDNEY SUSSEX BOATHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1021928

Date first listed: 02-Dec-1997

Statutory Address: CORPUS CHRISTI AND SIDNEY SUSSEX BOATHOUSE, CUTTER FERRY LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CORPUS CHRISTI AND SIDNEY SUSSEX BOATHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1021928 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2018 at 01:01:53.

Location

Statutory Address: CORPUS CHRISTI AND SIDNEY SUSSEX BOATHOUSE, CUTTER FERRY LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Cambridge (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: TL 45798 59099

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 4559 CAMBRIDGE, FORMER CB CUTTER FERRY LANE (South side)

667/15/10087 Corpus Christi and Sidney Sussex Boathouse

II

Boathouse with changing facilities. 1958 by David Roberts, extended to sides in 1980s. Light-weight steel frame on piled concrete foundations infilled with brick and some weatherboarding to first floor front; shallow first floor houses changing facilities and has flat felt roof, deeper three bay boat store below has lean-to extensions and pitched roof. Symmetrical composition of three main bays to front, and the set-back lean-tos either side, all with folding doors under clerestory glazing' now blocked. Above, changing rooms with near-continuous broad band of glazing, with square panes and doors at either end, are set behind steel and timber balcony and reached via spiral concrete stairs to either side, with powerful newel posts and slender steel balustrade. Shields of the colleges sharing the boathouse to front, and four flagpoles complete the delicate grid of the composition. Interior of the ground floor a simple store; the upper floor noted to be 'spartan', as it does not overlook racing and elaborate facilities were not required. Rowing started at Cambridge in the 1820s (before it was introduced at Oxford); Corpus Christi College founded its first club in 1827-30; Sidney Sussex followed in the early 1830s. They were the first colleges to build a combined boathouse. This was the first modern style boathouse built at Cambridge, and was widely imitated here and elsewhere. It is a graceful little building, making the most of a small budget ("13,000). The thin, angular lines are appropriate to its river setting, and contrast with the more flamboyant styles of the earlier boathouses alongside.



Listing NGR: TL4579859099

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 466551

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Booth, P , Taylor, N, Cambridge New Architecture, (1965), 83
Rawle, T, Cambridge Architecture, (1993), 64
'Architect and Building News' in 18 March, (1959), 354-5
'Architects Journal' in 12 February, (1959), 262

End of official listing