This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

JAGGARDS HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: JAGGARDS HOUSE

List entry Number: 1022056

Location

JAGGARDS HOUSE, JAGGARDS LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wiltshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Corsham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 20-Dec-1960

Date of most recent amendment: 01-Aug-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 315256

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CORSHAM JAGGARDS LANE ST 86 NE 3/229 Jaggards House (formerly listed as 20.12.60 Jaggards House with gatepiers) GV II* House rebuilt c1657 for R.Kington incorporating parts of a late medieval house. Rough rendered rubble stone with stone tiled roofs, coped gables and large paired ashlar stacks. Two and a half storeys, L-plan main range, one room depth, mostly of 1657 and east end cross-wing, C15 extended to south in C17 and 1899 by H. Brakspear. Symmetrical north front, probably on site of medieval hall with east end stacks, large central outside stack, and coped gable each side. All windows are ovolo-moulded, mullion windows to attics, mullion-and-transom to main floors. Two-window range of 2-light windows each side of stack, dripcourse over ground floor, continued around stack, similar course around stack at eaves level. Gables each have 2-light attic window and hoodmould and attached 2-storey porch with coped gable, left porch to through passage, right porch to stair hall. Left porch is ashlar with upper 2-light mullion-and-transom window, dripcourse below and basket-arched moulded doorway. Moulded inner doorway with framed plank door. Right side porch is apparently earlier, rough rendered with upper 3-light recessed chamfered mullion window dripcourse below over doorway similar to left porch. West end gable with similar attic window, 2 similar first floor windows under single hoodmould and dripcourse over ground floor. Wing runs south with ridge stack and cross-gabled south end. Ground floor C19 six-light and original 2-light window, first floor two 2- lights, one with hoodmould carried around angle to south end dripcourse and 2-light attic window in gable. South end has dripcourses, 2-light attic, 2-light first floor as elsewhere but ground floor 3-light mullion window. Flush quoins. East return has similar attic and first floor over C19 door, with one-window range to right, 2-light first floor over door. Rear of main range has 3-window range of 2-light windows with dripcourse and door to right. Central gable with 2-light window, dormer to right. C20 glazed verandah. Framed plank door as on north front. Cross- wing at east end has coped north gable with Tudor-arched mullion windows, 2-light above, 3-light below, probably C15 or C16. East return has coped gable and 4-light C17 ovolo-moulded window with king-mullion and hoodmould to each floor. Wing runs back beyond south front of main range with south end gable rebuilt c1900 but gable to west, enclosing rear court, mostly original with 2-light attic window, 3-light and single light to first floor, all ovolo- moulded with hoodmoulds. A wing runs east with north front mostly c1900 but original C17 two-light and 3-light windows to east gable end. In angle to south and across east end 2 parallel service ranges, one dated 1899. Interior: heavily carved north-west staircase with fretted stair arch, carved newel finials, flat balusters and moulded rails. Room to west, in rear wing has fine carved stone fireplace with initials of R. & I.Kington and date 1657. Contemporary moulded plaster ceiling with masks at each corner of centre panel and fleurs-de-lys. Panelling much altered c1900. Central room of main range has, C18 fielded panelling to dado level, late C18 fireplace. North end room in cross-wing has shallow curved stone seat in north wall. House belonged to a holding referred to in 1340, held by Kington family c1560-1766, passed to J. Shore, Leir family and in 1866 to J.B.Fuller of Neston Park, restored for Sir J.M.F.Fuller (1864- 1914). (H.Brakspear: Corsham n.d. 27; reprint Wilts. Arch. Mag. 43 511- 39.)

Listing NGR: ST8542668545

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Brakspear, H, Corsham25
'Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Magazine' in Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Magazine, , Vol. 43, (), 511-39

National Grid Reference: ST 85426 68545

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1022056 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2017 at 03:51:33.

End of official listing