Lacock Bridge

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1022127

Date first listed: 20-Dec-1960

Date of most recent amendment: 02-Dec-2016

Statutory Address: Lacock Bridge, approximately 400m south-east of Lacock Abbey, Lacock, Wiltshire

Map

Ordnance survey map of Lacock Bridge
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1022127 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2018 at 03:07:26.

Location

Statutory Address: Lacock Bridge, approximately 400m south-east of Lacock Abbey, Lacock, Wiltshire

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Lacock

National Grid Reference: ST9232568089

Summary

Two bridges and a causeway between, late medieval to C17 and early C19.

Reasons for Designation

Lacock Bridge, a late medieval to C17 and early C19 bridge, is listed at Grade II*, for the following principal reasons: * Relative date: a medieval bridge, which, despite later alterations and repair, retains a significant proportion of its early fabric; * Architectural interest: it is a neatly-made structure with very well constructed arches to the spans, retaining its medieval form.

History

Lacock Bridge dates from the medieval period to the C17; surviving records indicate that for much of the C17 the bridge was too decayed to be passable to wheeled traffic, so much of the present fabric must date from later. It was restored in the early C19: a date stone and inscription for 1809 is included in the parapet. The bridge was formerly known as ‘Foot Bridge’ as it lay near the foot of the hill rising to the west.

Details

Two bridges and a causeway between, late medieval to C17 and early C19.

MATERIALS: ashlar and rubble stone.

DESCRIPTION: the principal bridge, over the River Avon, is of four rebated, pointed arches with cutwaters on the upstream side; the downstream side has a heavy central pier with stepped top. The two arches to right are slightly forward of the left pair. Stone parapet. To the north side, about 19m of rubble stone walling, to south about 68m of similar walling, pierced with square holes for floodwater, linking to the second bridge over a tributary. This bridge is of five arches, built in ashlar; the northern pair are early C19, round-arched and brick lined. Ashlar parapet with band. The parapet carries the inscription and date 'G. Banks 1809'. The following three arches are pointed and rebated with upstream cutwaters, and downstream stepped piers, and a parapet. To the south side runs about 24m of rubble stone wall.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 315434

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
Wiltshire Archaeological Magazine, Vol. 50, (1942), 119-125
Wiltshire Historic Environment Record: ST96NW468-MWI4792 Bridge 170m W of Methodist Chapel, Lacock

End of official listing